PDA

View Full Version : 75 gallon tank stocking. Help!!

LukeS
05-23-2016, 04:41 PM
I am considering adding two, 3 inch discus to my 75 gallon bow-front. I would like to know people's opinion on whether this is too much, or if I am fine. Please let me know!

Akili
05-23-2016, 04:57 PM
How many do you have in the 75 gallon now?

rickztahone
05-23-2016, 05:12 PM

Can't help you without this info :)

LukeS
05-23-2016, 05:34 PM
I have 7, all young and about 2 inches. While I have you're attention, I was just informed when I called Hans USA about a purchase that it is dangerous adding his fish that he breeds to my tank due to the fact that my local store is probably getting them from Asia. Is this true? And what should I do about this? I'm quite new to the discus world.

LukeS
05-23-2016, 06:10 PM
I replied down below

Akili
05-23-2016, 06:16 PM
Any new additions should be Quarantine at least 6 to 8 weeks even if they come from the same source. Any idea where Hans's discus come from?

Filip
05-23-2016, 06:33 PM
I think its probably best to listen what Hans advised you, since its his stock after all .
He chooses to inform you correctly instead of just selling, and that's something to admire and respect.

I think that Hans imports from Europe, and mixing Europeans with Asians has been shown as a mistake many times before.

LukeS
05-23-2016, 06:33 PM
Any new additions should be Quarantine at least 6 to 8 weeks even if they come from the same source. Any idea where Hans's discus come from?
Hans discus are said to come from Germany. I'm worried about adding discus from a different place where they could be exposed to different diseases

LukeS
05-23-2016, 06:43 PM
I think its probably best to listen what Hans advised you, since its his stock after all .
He chooses to inform you correctly instead of just selling, and that's something to admire and respect.

I think that Hans imports from Europe, and mixing Europeans with Asians has been shown as a mistake many times before.

Thank you for your advice. I've seen these breeders have more of the selection and variety that I'm looking for, I'm not quite sure what to do. Any advice on that?

LizStreithorst
05-23-2016, 06:45 PM
get a QT tank.

Filip
05-23-2016, 06:58 PM
Yo can try to sell the Asians , and start fresh with a new Batch from Hans.That way you secure your investment.
Mixing the two batches afrwr you were advised not to is a kind of gambling to me.

LukeS
05-23-2016, 07:05 PM
Yo can try to sell the Asians , and start fresh with a new Batch from Hans.That way you secure your investment.
Mixing the two batches afrwr you were advised not to is a kind of gambling to me.

This is all great info for me thank you. One last question I apologize. What do you think is the best ways to sell these Asians? Craigslist or something along those lines?

Phillydubs
05-23-2016, 11:43 PM
You can sell them right here on out forum you can go to Craig's list and also try aquabid.

I would not mix them, especially without qt. if you are new to discus and just starting out and end up starting over you may want to start with bigger fish

chuckiesmalls
05-24-2016, 10:35 AM
end fish racism.....kidding ;)

LukeS
05-24-2016, 12:57 PM
Lol!