PDA

View Full Version : Plant yellowing? Is that natural?

LukeS
05-24-2016, 02:48 PM
Some of my amazon sword's leaves are starting to yellow. I trim the dead leaves quite frequently as well as supplementing with iron every other day. Any advice on making these plants that beautiful green again? I'm not sure how to add photos or I would :(

rickztahone
05-24-2016, 03:00 PM
This is a sign of nutrient deficiency. How long ago did you get the plants? If recent, many times plants go through a "melting" phase but then bounce back.

LukeS
05-24-2016, 03:48 PM
This is a sign of nutrient deficiency. How long ago did you get the plants? If recent, many times plants go through a "melting" phase but then bounce back.

I got them about a week and a half ago. I can't tell if new shoots are coming up or not yet

DISCUS STU
05-24-2016, 04:21 PM
Amazon leaves don't regenerate like some other plants. Hopefully the new leaves will come in better. I like Radican Swords but they grow well in some of my tanks but not in my big 90 anymore though at one time they did and I really don't know why but it may be my Bristlenose Plecos just munching them away even though I have these in my 60 and there's no issue.

Hope it works out for you. This can be a little frustrating, at least for me.

LukeS
05-24-2016, 05:53 PM
Amazon leaves don't regenerate like some other plants. Hopefully the new leaves will come in better. I like Radican Swords but they grow well in some of my tanks but not in my big 90 anymore though at one time they did and I really don't know why but it may be my Bristlenose Plecos just munching them away even though I have these in my 60 and there's no issue.

Hope it works out for you. This can be a little frustrating, at least for me.

How do the radican swords do in the warm water that the discus require? I've seen many plants just die because the water is too warm.

bluelagoon
05-24-2016, 10:57 PM
I use fert sticks(root tab) and push them under the plant every two or 3 months.My swords are about 6 years old and doing well.

Filip
05-25-2016, 03:38 AM
Amazon swords-Echinodorus family are heavy root feeders , so if you pot it in a nutrient rich substrate it should thrive . Other than that , they are very hardy and undemanding plants.

jmf3460
05-25-2016, 09:52 AM
yellowing of leaves is a nutrient deficiency as many have said, swords are notorious root feeders and usually its potassium/iron that they lack. API root tabs work well with swords IME.

DISCUS STU
05-25-2016, 11:48 AM
How do the radican swords do in the warm water that the discus require? I've seen many plants just die because the water is too warm.

The Radicans, and other Amazon Swords, do well, or at least can take it, at the higher Discus temperatures. I used to keep my tanks at a balmy 86f and they can take the heat, even in my kitchen! (lol).

Now the tanks are kept at 82f. Some of the rooms in my place get very hot in the summer anyway so the Amazons are good for me specifically because they'r good at Discus temps while other plants tend to fry. Vallisneria also can work at some of the higher temps. though I'm not sure if all of them can. 98177

pitdogg2
05-25-2016, 03:57 PM
I got them about a week and a half ago. I can't tell if new shoots are coming up or not yet
what you are seeing most times is completely natural when Swords go from the Immersed state vs Submerged in your aquarium. the leaves come back and are different that the immersed leaves which are mostly out of the water at the location to which the wholesaler buys from. If it already has it submersed leaves then you are looking at a deficiency in ferts whether its potassium, Nitrogen or Carbon and or light.

William1
05-28-2016, 08:57 AM
I agree with that. I was going to ask how long you've had them. Some plants will lose all their leaves after being totally submersed in a tank. It is natural to lose a couple leaves. I usually let it take care of itself. I don't like stump cutoffs at the stem. For example, my corkscrew vals lost all their original leaves which weren't corkscrewed at all. The new leaves are twisty and looking like corkscrew vals. I have three big amazon swords. One is losing leaves, yellowing etc., but new leaves are coming in. I trim an old leaf off once in a while. They weren't grown totally submersed, so when you put them in a tank they change. It is natural.