PDA

View Full Version : Defintion of Aged Water

Cichlids
05-24-2016, 02:56 PM
Can someone please tell me the definition of aged water? Is that water that sits for a period of time before using it in a water change or is it something that changes the PH levels of the water? I have water I usually let sit for 24 hours of use and it is heated.

rickztahone
05-24-2016, 03:00 PM
aged water = water in a storage container w/ heat and air stone for 24h+

DJW
05-24-2016, 11:05 PM
Water is aged when the gases it contains have reached equilibrium with the atmosphere. Some excess gases cause microbubbles, which stress or injure the fish. Excess carbon dioxide causes the pH to be lower than the tank water, and after it gases off the pH will generally be the same as the pH in the tank.

Some city water has the pH artificially raised with sodium hydroxide to prevent corrosion and the release of heavy metals. Ageing this water with aeration removes the chemical that has been added, so that the pH goes down and is close to the tank pH.

If your water has microbubbles but little or no pH swing, it can be aged in a much shorter time. PH swing from carbon dioxide takes longer.

bluelagoon
05-24-2016, 11:11 PM
It's the air stone that speeds up the process.

rickztahone
05-24-2016, 11:13 PM
Water is aged when the gases it contains have reached equilibrium with the atmosphere. Some excess gases cause microbubbles, which stress or injure the fish. Excess carbon dioxide causes the pH to be lower than the tank water, and after it gases off the pH will generally be the same as the pH in the tank.

Some city water has the pH artificially raised with sodium hydroxide to prevent corrosion and the release of heavy metals. Ageing this water with aeration removes the chemical that has been added, so that the pH goes down and is close to the tank pH.

If your water has microbubbles but little or no pH swing, it can be aged in a much shorter time. PH swing from carbon dioxide takes longer.

How's that different from what I said above Dan? :laugh:

DJW
05-24-2016, 11:40 PM
How's that different from what I said above Dan? :laugh:

You said the same thing with fewer words, LOL. I can't help myself, I have to get all technical with things.:crazy:

Cichlids
05-25-2016, 01:30 PM
Well I guess I am speeding things up by running a piston style air compressor :laugh: