PDA

View Full Version : Could use some help identifying gill problem

michaelfaulkner
05-27-2016, 04:52 AM
any help would be greatly appreciated, feel sorry for the poor little guy

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

For about a month now my Maze Turk was only breathing through one gill, presumed flukes and did 3 treatments of kusuri wormer plus as well as a small amount of aquarium salt, he never used both gills for more than a day without going back to one. At the end of the treatment my smallest discus (constantly harrrased) started growing this strange white growth around its gills, (the inner slits of the gills? not the back ones that open up, sorry i dont know the atonomy very well) and just hides at the back of the tank. I increased the water changes to 90% every day with salt but it has just spread to both gills, wondering if it could be fungus and perhaps the maze turk discus didnt have flukes either? im more concerned about the small one for now but would like to get them both back to optimal health

2. Symptoms

small discus - white growth around gills, sometimes long stringy bits, sometimes looks almost like a tiny fat worm coming out of the gill still using both gills but breathing heavily, has taken to hiding at the back of the tank but still comes out to eat until he gets chased away

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Kusuri wormer plus at the reccomended dosage at once every 4 days x 3 treatments in a row (instructions say 2 doses in a row for flukes)

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
200 litre - no idea on age of fish
2 x 5 inch discus and 2 x 3 1/2 inch discus,
2 x GBR
10 x Cardinal tetras

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
90% every 2 days

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
6 months,
gravel substrate and about half an inch deep

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
dont age the water, use python to fill tank

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _27 - 29 degrees
- ph 7.5 ( i know this is supposedly too high but all other discus are fine and i didnt want to be constantly changing the PH of water to put in)
- ammonia reading 0 ppm
- nitrite reading 0 ppm
- nitrate reading 5 - 10 ppm

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

Muncipal? unsure what that means, tap water

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
negative

Attached are the pictures when it first started, it has gotten worse since then but i cant get a good photo

brewmaster15
05-27-2016, 11:02 AM
Thats a hard call, but if I was to best guess it, I'd say its a localized bacterial infection. It looks similar to when discus get pimple like formations on their sides.. It could be fungal, but I'd rule out bacteria because thats often the root problem if what you are seeing is fungal, at least in the fungus ailments that are treatable. Last option is viral..Lymphocystis, which is not treatable...

I'd place fish in a hospital tank and try a 10 day course of a general antibiotic like Furan 2 or minocyline..

hth,
al