PDA

View Full Version : Do these guys look healthy?

frosstman
05-27-2016, 02:48 PM

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and an LFS has these discus for sale. They are 2 1/2 inches. $89.99 each or $75 if you buy 3. Do they appear healthy? These pics are from their website. I have not seen them in person. It is a 2 hour drive to the store for me. Thanks.

warblad79
05-27-2016, 02:56 PM
Don't do it, you'll regret it

LizStreithorst
05-27-2016, 03:00 PM
Not good fish. I don't see evidence of disease but they don't look happy. I wouldn't risk it.

Willie
05-27-2016, 03:31 PM
The pigeon blood is clearly stunted and both are oblong. Both are generally poor quality fish. Start with quality.

DISCUS STU
05-27-2016, 04:28 PM
Better to find good fish that you can raise well. The lfs's think that anything called a "Discus" can command high dollar value. You can see that at least one of them is being housed in the plant take in an attempt to give it better water quality so at least they know that their conditions aren't really up to snuff.

These are very poor, can I say the word "quality". Pigeon Bloods generally don't shows "stress" bars like other Discus, when they do as in the picture, then you know there's really a problem.

Jason.M
05-27-2016, 04:55 PM
Welcome fellow Nova Scotian. Discus in the LFS here are not common, and quality ones amongst them are pretty much non-existent. Look at ordering them online and having them shipped to you. There are a few popular places in Canada to order from. Unfortunately we do not have anything close to the availability that they have south of the border. But if you order from one of the popular sources here, you will be getting quality and healthy stock. You'll save money in long run. I did an order from Rick at Canadian Aqua Farms in November and am looking forward to making another order soon.
Do lots of research and prepare yourself, on both purchasing and keeping them.

Filip
05-27-2016, 05:17 PM
I wouldnt take them even if they were given to me for free.
Especialy the Pigeon blood.