PDA

View Full Version : Night crawlers as food

megatrev62
05-28-2016, 12:46 PM
Tons of nightcrawlers in the yard at night, just a matter of picking them. Great for trout !! No pesticides around. Would this be good for the discus chopped up? I'm assuming yes all the way. Thanks

warblad79
05-28-2016, 01:41 PM
Sure, but dip them to PP before feeding

megatrev62
05-28-2016, 01:46 PM
PP?

Second Hand Pat
05-28-2016, 02:13 PM
Sure, but dip them to PP before feeding

No need for that as they are not aquatic worms. I feed my wilds red wigglers all the time. PP is potassium permanganate.
Pat

pitdogg2
05-28-2016, 02:19 PM
Yep no need for PP been feeding worms for years never a problem. As Pat stated terrestrial worms can't pass along gremlin's. I would advise stripping out the earth poop just to keep a little cleaner before the chop.

Phillydubs
05-28-2016, 02:20 PM
Pat do your wilds eat them? How do you feed? Chopped Up?

How about your methods pitdogg?

pitdogg2
05-28-2016, 02:22 PM
Cut into small pieces drop in easy as that. I just use a small knife. One of these days when the wife is gone I will try the slap chopper😂

megatrev62
05-28-2016, 02:28 PM
Perfect. Thanks

Second Hand Pat
05-28-2016, 02:49 PM
Pat do your wilds eat them? How do you feed? Chopped Up?

How about your methods pitdogg?

Phil, I feed the smaller ones and leave the larger breeder worms. I will cut one in half (or pieces) when needed. I give them a good rinse but do not strip them. The fish love them.
Pat

rickztahone
05-31-2016, 12:32 PM
Phil, Pat posted a vid of this recently. Can't remember where but check her recent posts.

Phillydubs
05-31-2016, 02:40 PM
Check Pat's recent posts... Man Ric, I didn't know you were a comedian as well!

Pat posts more than anyone! Haha, checking her recent posts could take me hours!!! hahaa jk!

Nah thanks for the advice I will try and get crafty with our useful search option and see what I can find and I may try these guys soon see if my wilds like them.

rickztahone
05-31-2016, 02:45 PM
Check Pat's recent posts... Man Ric, I didn't know you were a comedian as well!

Pat posts more than anyone! Haha, checking her recent posts could take me hours!!! hahaa jk!

Nah thanks for the advice I will try and get crafty with our useful search option and see what I can find and I may try these guys soon see if my wilds like them.

Haha, this is true. I post a fair bit as well, as do you now, HA!

DJW
05-31-2016, 03:17 PM
Here are a couple of threads to check out:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?88726-Red-Wiggler-Worm-Prep

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?122806-Red-Wigglers

Phillydubs
05-31-2016, 03:37 PM
Thanks Dan!

Pat - do you still order your worms from that site??

Second Hand Pat
05-31-2016, 04:00 PM
Thanks Dan!

Pat - do you still order your worms from that site??

I get my worms from Uncle Jim's Worm farm.

Here's a vid of the Cuipeua eating red wigglers. You can see they hate them. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Dp2PVfF9A

Phillydubs
05-31-2016, 04:14 PM
Pat! That is so responsible of you! Feeding your fish food they obviously despise! Lolol!!!

How do you store them until they are ready to be fed? Fridge?

Phillydubs
05-31-2016, 04:30 PM
Those fish look supurb by the way pat! I can only hope mine color like those gems...

Is that a recent video?

Second Hand Pat
05-31-2016, 05:11 PM
Those fish look supurb by the way pat! I can only hope mine color like those gems...

Is that a recent video?

Thanks Phil, it was Feb of last year.
Pat

megatrev62
05-31-2016, 05:39 PM
Love those discus.

pitdogg2
05-31-2016, 08:38 PM
Red worms do not need to be in the fridge. Now if Pat's "red wigglers" are just real small earth worms then yes fridge or real cool basement.

Second Hand Pat
05-31-2016, 08:51 PM
They are conpost worms or small red wigglers. I use them for composting and no fridge needed. :)
Pat

Akili
06-02-2016, 12:45 PM
They are conpost worms or small red wigglers. I use them for composting and no fridge needed. :)
PatPat Does your bins get infested with mites? and if do how do you control them? I was told if you have house plants there is no way you can get away from "mites"

LizStreithorst
06-02-2016, 02:46 PM
I used to feed red wigglers every day until a couple of years ago when I got lazy and dumped them into the garden. I'm kept mine in the fish room. I used the space they took up for more tanks. I tried night crawlers but didn't like them. They are tough, need to be chopped and the fish weren't fond of them. I did as Pat does with my red wigglers. I picked out and fed the small ones and fed them and left the large ones to breed. The fish eat the small ones whole.

When I lived on the gulf coast I kept my cultures outside in the shade. Once I moved 90 miles north and started keeping in the fish room I did get mites but my cultures were so prolific I still had tons of them to feed.

Second Hand Pat
06-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Pat Does your bins get infested with mites? and if do how do you control them? I was told if you have house plants there is no way you can get away from "mites"

I keep my bin outside Akili and it does have a few small insects living in the bin. It doesn't seem to bother the worms.
Pat

Phillydubs
06-02-2016, 03:48 PM
Can these be kept in the fridge tho, to avoid the mites and other things?

My tanks are in my office so I really cant leave them outside and would prefer to avoid other insects....

I would like to give them a try but if I can safely keep them in a fridge, I may have to pass....

What type of nutritional value do they provide?

LizStreithorst
06-02-2016, 04:29 PM
I don't think that they would reproduce for you if you kept them in the fridge. You might consider live black worms.

Phillydubs
06-02-2016, 04:51 PM
Thanks Liz... I am really not concerned with them reproducing, if the fish like them and they are a good food to mix in I would just keep buying them as needed

LizStreithorst
06-02-2016, 05:00 PM
I think that under the circumstances you would be happier with live black worms. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?55-California-Blackworm-Co-Fresno-California

pitdogg2
06-02-2016, 05:30 PM
Can these be kept in the fridge tho, to avoid the mites and other things?

My tanks are in my office so I really cant leave them outside and would prefer to avoid other insects....

I would like to give them a try but if I can safely keep them in a fridge, I may have to pass....

What type of nutritional value do they provide?

they do not last long in the fridge IME and I have kept them on the shelf in my fish room and never had them attract bugs or mites. just need to be sure to keep the bedding moist or they dry out and die. I kept mine in a Styrofoam two sided worm box.