PDA

View Full Version : To discus or not to discus?

bfish
05-28-2016, 11:03 PM
Would 5 discus the size around 4 inches live fine in a 75g tank with weekly to biweekly 50% water changes? With no other fish, light feeding, and in a planted tank. I want to do a aquascaped like thegreenmachines tank in their video down below except in a 75 and less shallow, (sorry not sure if I can post links).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD7k6MRsTz8

warblad79
05-28-2016, 11:13 PM
Sure, they would do just fine for a while but give it a few months and then after that they'll start deteriorate. just a honest opinion

frosstman
05-29-2016, 07:14 PM
Can you explain why, warblad79? Thanks.

cedar
05-29-2016, 10:00 PM
Hi bfish, I too am a newbie to discus and I highly recommend you read all the beginner threads you can find on sd, they will explain why this is not your best option for discus. too many reason to explain imo, good luck and keep reading! :)

warblad79
05-29-2016, 10:22 PM
Too many reasons to explain and lots of factors involved so it's better to go to beginner's section.

Filip
05-30-2016, 02:45 AM
It all comes down to a simple problem .Water quallity needs of discus. You won't be able to maintain them with full carpet planted tank.
I wouldn't try this adventure also .

bfish
05-30-2016, 03:07 PM
fair enough, after reefing and mbuna cichlid keeping for a few years, I know I'm not going to keep up water changes twice a week, even once a week sounds like a stretch after a few months. Probably going with a shoal of small fish.

Filip
05-31-2016, 04:02 AM
fair enough, after reefing and mbuna cichlid keeping for a few years, I know I'm not going to keep up water changes twice a week, even once a week sounds like a stretch after a few months. Probably going with a shoal of small fish.

Or buy a full grown pair of discus along with your schoal of small fish and enjoy them both in your planted tank with only 1-2 WCs/cleaning a week.