PDA

View Full Version : Haven't spooked in over a week !!

megatrev62
05-29-2016, 11:38 AM
Feels great !! Getting used to the traffic !! Sure does take some time for discus to settle.

cedar
05-29-2016, 10:15 PM
yes it does, I just moved my breeder tank and now they are not spooking like they were, I am waiting for eggs now, :)

Filip
05-30-2016, 02:52 AM
It took my last batch of discus more than a month to stop spooking out of traffic and human presence .
Before they got used to us I was asking my family not to walk along the room for 10 minutes while I was feeding them LOL. Man , that was stresfull for both me and discus.
And now, my son bangs on the front glass ocassionaly trying to spook them for fun , but they barely dart a few inches .

megatrev62
05-30-2016, 08:39 AM
When my 2 year old granddaughter comes here, I used to cringe because of all the activity. She would run around and spook them a bit. I used to tell people to walk gently around the tank.Lol. She loves feeding fish with "Poppa" and every time I go to feed them she jumps right up. I love it. She goes up to the tank often to point at the fish and they look at her, but never spook. She is adorable and even holds the python when I do water changes. Now it seems calmed down which is great. The only time really is when the curtains are opened really quickly in the room. Now that is done gently. All good.Lol

Phillydubs
05-30-2016, 10:01 AM
How big are they abd how long have you had them?

megatrev62
05-30-2016, 10:13 AM
Have 8 in a 90 gallon. Most are 4.5-5 inches. A couple are 3.5. Have had the tank set up for about 6 weeks.

William1
06-04-2016, 09:57 PM
It took six weeks huh. My guys are very skittish. They are fine in the morning before it gets sunny out. During the day they go and hide even if I cross the opposite side of the room. Kind of a drag really. The tank is in a sunny room, but that isn't changing. I hope they calm down. They are beautiful, eating like a pack of wolves and very healthy by all signs, but after a water change or activity in front of the tank they are hiding for a half an hour at least before they come back out. I changed water an hour and a half ago and haven't seen them since. Good to hear your's mellowed out. I am hoping for the same soon.

megatrev62
06-04-2016, 10:10 PM
Yeah, they took a while. They were always out and about but spooked a lot for some time after they first went in. Now they eat out of my hand. Breeding on the go as well. They just got used to the surroundings and I'm glad they are finally settled. They kind of hang out staring straight ahead with the odd squabble. I'll take that .Lol

Also how long have you had them? I was frustrated about it like you and spoke to the person I purchased them from and he reassured me they will all settle and they did. The spooking was driving me crazy. Lots of activity as the tank is in the living room. Now it doesn't matter who is here and who walks in front of the tank , the spooking has ended.

William1
06-04-2016, 10:45 PM
I've had them four weeks, but moved them into my planted 120G six days ago. Mine are wild discus, 4 1/2 to 5 1/2". I've thought more than once I wish I would have just gotten angels. These guys are very cool, but not so much when you can't see them for half the time. We will hang in and hope they chill out. I don't think they like a sillouhette in front of the tank when it's sunny. I changed water at 7:30 and they have been hiding till the lights went out at ten. Like I said, kind of a drag.

Filip
06-05-2016, 10:43 AM
I've had them four weeks, but moved them into my planted 120G six days ago. Mine are wild discus, 4 1/2 to 5 1/2". I've thought more than once I wish I would have just gotten angels. These guys are very cool, but not so much when you can't see them for half the time. We will hang in and hope they chill out. I don't think they like a sillouhette in front of the tank when it's sunny. I changed water at 7:30 and they have been hiding till the lights went out at ten. Like I said, kind of a drag.

Just Hang on there William .
If everything is all right and they are healthy , they will get used to silhouetts and walking vibrations in no time , and you will not regret them for a minute in future , I'm sure .

megatrev62
06-05-2016, 10:58 AM

One can never choose angels over discus !!! It will turn around !!

nolefan
06-05-2016, 12:03 PM
One can never choose angels over discus !!! It will turn around !!with full grown adult Altums I would do it in a heartbeat lol

megatrev62
06-05-2016, 01:08 PM
The ultimate angel....but still...

Akili
06-05-2016, 02:52 PM
I've had them four weeks, but moved them into my planted 120G six days ago. Mine are wild discus, 4 1/2 to 5 1/2". I've thought more than once I wish I would have just gotten angels. These guys are very cool, but not so much when you can't see them for half the time. We will hang in and hope they chill out. I don't think they like a sillouhette in front of the tank when it's sunny. I changed water at 7:30 and they have been hiding till the lights went out at ten. Like I said, kind of a drag.Make sure there is no light hitting their tank from the side.. they don't like shadows being cast on them.Also subdude lighting helps.

Kyla
06-05-2016, 02:56 PM
it can be really frustrating and even worrying to see shy discus spook and hide whenever we r moving about, cleaning or even approaching to feed them. it WILL improve!!!! just hang in there, be patient (it could be many more weeks...) spend time sitting in front of the tank so they can see u, and try not to stress too much about it. it will be worth the wait.