PDA

View Full Version : Checkerboard and red turk cross?

megatrev62
06-03-2016, 09:57 AM
Just looking for an opinion on this cross. Would the young be garbage? Thanks

megatrev62
06-03-2016, 02:48 PM
Bump

megatrev62
06-03-2016, 03:45 PM
I have the wrigglers on the go since about 3 hours ago. The fish are in a 90 gallon with other discus as well as some cardinals and a few serpae tetras. I know they won't make it, but am seriously thinking of giving this a go. Is this worth pursuing at all? Wouldn't want to fool with it if the young would be undesirable.

The parents are getting extremely nasty right now also,

camthi609
06-03-2016, 04:24 PM
I'd be willing to take them off your hands if you don't want to deal w/them and would give you update of their outcome....?

RogueDiscus
06-03-2016, 04:36 PM
This would be a pigeon-blood crossed with a non PB. The fry are usually heavily peppered and considered not very attractive.

megatrev62
06-03-2016, 08:56 PM
I'd be willing to take them off your hands if you don't want to deal w/them and would give you update of their outcome....?

Haha right on.

megatrev62
06-03-2016, 08:58 PM
This would be a pigeon-blood crossed with a non PB. The fry are usually heavily peppered and considered not very attractive.

Glad you responded. Not setting up a tank for them. Don't want to go there at this point anyway. Thanks

rickztahone
06-03-2016, 08:59 PM
Glad you responded. Not setting up a tank for them. Don't want to go there at this point anyway. Thanks

Yeah, you wouldn't really want to with a pb x non-pb

megatrev62
06-03-2016, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE=rickztahone;1216935]Yeah, you wouldn't really want to with a pb x non-pThank you. Seems to be the thing not to do. Is exciting but will leave it.

megatrev62
06-03-2016, 10:16 PM
Yeah, you wouldn't really want to with a pb x non-pb

Thank you. Will leave it.

megatrev62
06-05-2016, 08:11 PM
Great parents for sure. The wrigglers are hopping around the driftwood and I do see the parents mouth them. I'm looking forward to see the fry hop on the parents. It may not happen of course but would love to experience that. Cannot believe the fry are still there with an open tank of discus and other fish.

megatrev62
06-06-2016, 02:07 PM
Started free swimming just after a water change. Very cool, love to see them attach !!

megatrev62
06-06-2016, 02:19 PM
Can't help it. Going to cordon off the tank with egg crate. Have a clear tote and am going cut to size to attach it to the egg crate with zip ties. Drill holes in the clear plastic of course. At least see where this goes. If they do not attach , I know they are goners. But it is exciting none the less.

Filip
06-06-2016, 02:46 PM
Can't help it. Going to cordon off the tank with egg crate. Have a clear tote and am going cut to size to attach it to the egg crate with zip ties. Drill holes in the clear plastic of course. At least see where this goes. If they do not attach , I know they are goners. But it is exciting none the less.

I would have done the same thing , just for the fun of it :-) . And just seat back and enjoy the show without making any further plans.

megatrev62
06-06-2016, 06:05 PM
Just home and the fry are on their backs....coolest thing I ever saw. Will try to get a video or pic up. Thanks

rickztahone
06-06-2016, 06:49 PM
Very cool. Get some foam from Swisstropicals.com for the next time to separate them.

megatrev62
06-07-2016, 12:26 PM
Is there an advantage with the foam?

rickztahone
06-07-2016, 01:30 PM
Is there an advantage with the foam?

Not over any other sponge I believe, but the sponge itself will help keep the babies on one side of the tank. Swisstropical foam does tend to hold its shape well though.

megatrev62
06-07-2016, 02:54 PM
Looks like the fry are gone. But I did get some video of the beautiful event. Now , having done that and glad it ended, how in hell does one not have this continue? I guess leave them in the main tank and do their thing or remove one I take it. Don't want any breeding, but if a desirable pair emerge I will be prepared. Love to give it a valiant effort. Hard looking at tank tank when this happens , it just kind of ticks me off. Hopefully nothing will emerge, but somehow I have my doubts.

megatrev62
06-08-2016, 11:16 AM
Trying to put a handle on why they were lost and I'm guessing it was the canisters, specifically the way the are set up. The cordoned off area was getting little or nothing in filtration. I have 2 xp2's on the tank and the intake of one was with the pair, but the output of the other was also there. Basically little to no filtration at all. May have nothing to do with it, but I could not see the pair eating them at that particular point. I did syphon babies out when I did the water change.