PDA

View Full Version : Hello from NJ

Axelrodi202
06-07-2016, 04:52 PM
I was corresponding with discuspaul on another forum and he suggested I register here. Turns out I had made an account some years ago that I forgot about!

When I was six years old, I had just started fishkeeping and was browsing a fish store when I saw a striking fish printed on the packaging of a fish food bottle. I immediately asked the store clerk of this magnificent fish's identity. "Discus," he said, "Very difficult to keep; only for advanced aquarists". I was dismayed, but that formative moment sparked a dream in me to some day keep this fish.

My aspiration for once I have my own place and am settled is to become a crazy fish guy. This will of course center around a large discus display tank, filled with red turquoise discus like the one I saw all those years ago. I'm currently in college and focus on planted tanks. I am confident that my planted tank experience, combined with learning about discus husbandry on sites like this, will have my ready for this successful display once I'm at that stage in life. I'm particularly interested in learning about automation techniques like automated water changes, so if anyone here has experience with these please reach out!

rickztahone
06-07-2016, 05:22 PM
That is quite the handle you have there, may have very big shoes to fill :)

On a serious note, welcome to SimplyDiscus. Paul is a very well respected member here and he directed you to a good place to learn everything discus.

Discus are not for the advanced aquarists, but the most diligent ;)

Phillydubs
06-07-2016, 08:16 PM
Welcome!! Grew up in NJ myself ! You have a lot of great hobbyist near you or a click away in this site as well as some great resources for getting top quality discus !!

Where in dirty jerz are ya ?

Axelrodi202
06-07-2016, 08:53 PM
I'm currently in Morris County. The stores here don't have anything special in terms of discus but I know Discus Madness is somewhat close (never been though). Monster Aquarium in Flushing has nice (and fairly-priced) sub-adults that are very tempting, but given that I'll be away from home for weeks/months at a time for the next decade or so now's now the time...

Whether I will still be in NJ by the time I'll be ready to do a discus tank remains to be seen though. I go to school in Texas and the warm weather is very enticing...

Akili
06-07-2016, 08:57 PM
Welcome to SimplyDiscus.