PDA

View Full Version : pH Variance

Clawhammer
06-07-2016, 09:09 PM
Newbie here, already have received some great advice, thanks to the people of this forum.

I am trying to dial in my water change routine in order to deliver the best results for my 6 3.5" discus. One is sick and I am treating with metro/prazi and I want to be sure he has the cleanest water possible that also matches the tank parameters within reason.

I have an aging barrel set up on the outer side of an adjacent window to the tank with a pump and a valve system that make changing water a cinch. The problem is I have a large piece of driftwood in the tank, which lowers the ph by about .3 compared to the aged water (6.8 barrel vs 6.5 tank).

Do I need to adjust the ph of the barrel? Perhaps limit the percentage of my wc's? I know ph is exponential, but it has been a while since math class. If I do need to adjust in the barrel, should I add peat in a filter bag?

Akili
06-07-2016, 09:20 PM
Changing water of higher pH value than the tank (lower pH) will okay.It is going the other way (from higher to lower)that Discus have a hard time.

Clawhammer
06-07-2016, 09:24 PM
Good news, thanks again