PDA

View Full Version : Please help overcoming 'skittishness'

William1
06-07-2016, 08:57 PM
My eight wild blues seem to be doing great as far as appetite, appearance and health. But they do not like it when I approach the tank when the lights are on. They go and hide. They are more mellow in the morning before the lights come on. They also aren't bothered when I am on the side of the tank and come to greet me. Not so much from the front. Not real fond of tank maintenance either. I am just seeking advice on how to get them acclimated so we both can be happy as soon as possible. You guys know the drill. They are in a planted 120G and I have been WC and siphoning twice a day. The tank is clean. I kept my hands out of the tank today and they seemed to be better, but then after feeding time, adios amigos, hasta la vista muchachos. Going to be twice the cleaning tomorrow. Thanks!, Danke and gracias, BK

Second Hand Pat
06-07-2016, 09:06 PM
Hi William, is it possible to dim the light. Wilds in nature are not use to bright lights and John has no lights over his tanks. I have dim-able LEDs I use on my tanks and start my wilds with the light dim and allow them to get use to them over time. You can also approach the tank from the side with the light on and see how they handle that. Always give your fish a safe place until they fully acclimate which takes time.
Pat

Akili
06-07-2016, 09:10 PM
Spend some time in front of tank, it and watch them and get closer to them.Subdude lighting helps.Also make sure there is no light hitting them from the side.. they don't like shadows being cast on them.

William1
06-07-2016, 09:37 PM
Yes, I can dim the lights. I have the dimmable LEDs as well. They don't mind me coming from the side, only the front. They are cruising around now. Beautiful fish. If I could get them to come out when I am in front of the tank I would take some pics. Of course some are braver than others. They seem to be getting better. I will be patient. Starting to act like cichlids and showing aggression. But only when I am in the lazy boy across the room. Yawn...

Phillydubs
06-07-2016, 11:34 PM
How long have you had them now? You also did move them to s new tank do you reset things in a way. When were they moved.

I agree with Pat that dim to no light is best. I don't even have a light on my tank and my guys are as active and fearless as can be.

William1
06-08-2016, 08:25 AM
I am going to dim the lights and have them on for less time. They are not skittish in the morning before the lights come on, in fact they come to greet me in the front of the tank. So, that seems to be the solution. Also they are in a sunny room. Of course, I need lights because it is a planted tank. They have been in the 120G for ten days. I'll just keep tweaking it, that is half the fun anyway. These guys are big, and starting to get some real nice color. I love the variation between them. They are all very different. Can't wait till I can post some decent pics. Thanks a million for the suggestions.

brewmaster15
06-08-2016, 04:45 PM
Also they are in a sunny room depending on the angle of lighting' shadows and glare could be the culprit. If it continues to be a problem... maybe try drawing shades and and seeing if that helps .

al

Kyla
06-09-2016, 07:02 AM
ten days is not long at all. they may take weeks and weeks to settle in, just be patient. on a side note i had a large table near the front of my tank and noticed an immediate improvement in their demeanour when i moved it out of the room and opened up the space there. no idea how it helped, but it seemed to.

William1
06-09-2016, 08:33 AM
I don't think it is the lighting, but more the glare on the tank as Al mentioned. The room is sunny. With the brightness in the room, my sillouhette in front of the tank is what freaks them out. I'm not willing to keep the shades drawn. I live in Chicagoland and it's finally summer. (Absolutely hate winter). I am going to be patient, move gently in front of the tank, and keep a regular maintenance schedule and hope they come around sooner rather than later. That's the plan. It's morning now and after feeding time before the light come on and they are all super aggressive, chasing each other around. Working out the pecking order. That is a good sign I think. Fun to watch. Just wish they would stay this way all day. Thanks for the advice. I'll hang in there.

William1
06-10-2016, 03:01 PM
I think we are making progress here. I got a lawn chair out and parked my behind in it with a beverage on ice as Akili suggested. As if to say, I'm here and not going away. I closed the shade on the side as Al suggested, eliminating a glare. I dropped in some discus bits for them to peck at and we are hanging out like buddies. They are more at ease and very fun to watch. It will be cool when they don't notice me at all, but for now, I think we are definitely making progress. Gorgeous fish, and I feel lucky to have them. Have a great weekend all you discus nuts! Cheers, BK

William1
06-12-2016, 08:50 PM
Oh well, so much for making progress. These guys are super active in the morning, eat like a pack of wolves and are very aggressive, chasing each other around, till 11 am when the lights come on. After that they are in hiding pretty much all day behind the driftwood and a big sword plant. Kind of a drag not being able to see your nice fish. I will be patient, continue my cleaning regimen, which is siphon the bottom and change out 15 gallons twice a day. This keeps the 'detritus' from piling up, and these fish can pile it up. I've tried dimming the lights, tried different combos of shutting shades etc. I've even tried watching them from outside the window when I've come home more than a few times to see if they are playing when I'm not around to bug them. Mixed reports on that. I hope they come around soon. Kind of defeats the purpose of having them in my show tank when they won't show themselves. Ok, enough whining. No more posts on this subject. Maybe when they come around. Cya!

Rapture
06-12-2016, 10:39 PM
My Stendkers are used to me sitting by the tank, and beg for food when they are hungry, but a lot of times when I reach over the tank to lift the canopy and feed them, they get startled and dart away. I think it may be because my canopy opens from the top instead of from the front, but it sucks that they still get scared when I do that even though I always feed them right afterward.

SlimmSnake
06-13-2016, 05:15 PM
Bring them snacks every time you come to the tank. Soon they'll associate your approach with food, and eventually they'll be excited when they see you coming. ;)

William1
06-22-2016, 05:08 PM
These guys, and I, I suppose, have come a long way. We hang out like buddies now. I have learned that cloudy days they are cool with the blinds open. Sunny days they like them closed. It's the glare on the glass and a sillouhette in front of them that makes them pensive. But not really skittish anymore. They just kind of melt in behind the driftwood and plants and chill out. I'm thinking that's probably what any wild discus would do. Plus, I should have the shades down in the summer anyway. Duh, save energy. My fish are smarter than me. So I am good with that. They are active enough to keep me happy as a keeper. Real happy actually. These are big, beautiful blues. Not overly colorful by some standards, but super healthy and flat out cool. They look great amongst the foliage. I got the Blues!