PDA

View Full Version : Black worms as staple

megatrev62
06-08-2016, 11:36 AM
Would black worms as a primary diet put the "beef" on? I am feeding several types of food with a beef heart mix front and centre. My fish don't attack it like I expected them to and wondering if freeze dried black worms could be the main staple if I went with them. They relish frozen blood worms but I understand apparently they have little nutritional value. FD tubifex worms by Omega One are available, but seem to be frowned upon by the community. If I purchase FD black worms and they go nuts for it, could I slack with the beef heart? Thanks

warblad79
06-08-2016, 11:58 AM
Definitely not staple as you might think but I would try black worm flakes instead because they are mixed

nc0gnet0
06-08-2016, 12:45 PM
Would black worms as a primary diet put the "beef" on? I am feeding several types of food with a beef heart mix front and centre. My fish don't attack it like I expected them to and wondering if freeze dried black worms could be the main staple if I went with them. They relish frozen blood worms but I understand apparently they have little nutritional value. FD tubifex worms by Omega One are available, but seem to be frowned upon by the community. If I purchase FD black worms and they go nuts for it, could I slack with the beef heart? Thanks

They work quite well as a staple. Been using them that way for years.

megatrev62
06-08-2016, 02:43 PM
Thanks, a couple of opinions is always good. Is there a good place in Canada to order them? I really want to get some.

Phillydubs
06-08-2016, 03:07 PM
Im not sure if Al, the forum owner ships to canada but I would start there...

Jason.M
06-08-2016, 03:16 PM
Also Rick at Canadian Aqua Farms ships them anywhere in Canada.

Phillydubs
06-08-2016, 03:34 PM
I myself use them as a staple, with adults... I have never used them to grow out small juvies. But most of my fish I have had at young adults and they have grown very nicely on those and some occasional blood worms. Ive tried other flakes and pellets and I don't have the patience to get them hooked. I get paranoid that the tank is going to suffer because of the left overs and I just dont bother and have stuck to the FDBW

megatrev62
06-08-2016, 03:37 PM
Also Rick at Canadian Aqua Farms ships them anywhere in Canada.

Thanks, will look them up.

megatrev62
06-08-2016, 03:38 PM
Im not sure if Al, the forum owner ships to canada but I would start there...

Thanks. The exchange rate could be brutal.

atteb
06-08-2016, 04:45 PM
I just ordered some black worms from Rick, love that is Canadian dollars and free shipping too.

brewmaster15
06-08-2016, 04:50 PM
I can ship to Canada but with the exchange rate being what it is and the shipping costs of international, you would be best getting in Touch with Rick if you are in Canada. He's a great guy and sponsor here as well. :) Good luck, your Discus will love them!:)

best always,
al

megatrev62
06-08-2016, 05:36 PM
I can ship to Canada but with the exchange rate being what it is and the shipping costs of international, you would be best getting in Touch with Rick if you are in Canada. He's a great guy and sponsor here as well. :) Good luck, your Discus will love them!:)

best always,
al

Thank you, I am going to go that route.

megatrev62
06-08-2016, 05:37 PM
I just ordered some black worms from Rick, love that is Canadian dollars and free shipping too.

Excellent. Thank you.

Akili
06-08-2016, 06:26 PM
Thanks, a couple of opinions is always good. Is there a good place in Canada to order them? I really want to get some.I get mine from Angelfins.ca

rickztahone
06-08-2016, 09:06 PM
I don't think there is any problem with FDBW's as a staple with pellets or flakes as supplement.

Pardal
06-08-2016, 09:48 PM
I using it as staple, for my wilds. with good results, ie I bought four casual line around August last year from John's they were about four inches they are a little more than five inches right now. and we know wilds tend to grow slower. I do varied their diet with live white worms , and pellets but FDBW from Al's are the staple.
Julian

cedar
06-08-2016, 10:39 PM
I order from Rick all the time, they love them.

two utes
06-09-2016, 02:08 AM
I can highly recommend freeze dried black worms. Since l live in Australia l get them direct from the source. Get them whichever way you can...you won't regret it

Bill63SG
06-09-2016, 07:45 PM
When short on time to make beefheart,I have grown out many juvies on blackworms and sera pellets.

Kyla
06-09-2016, 08:39 PM
i feed the discus all kinds of food, but fdbw r their favourite by far. i get them from rick too, and i like that i dont have to buy in huge bulk because of the free shipping :)

nikond70s
06-10-2016, 07:44 PM
live blackworms and frozen bloodworm only crew checking in

lol @ dirty messy beef heart mix. no thanks.