PDA

View Full Version : Should I euthanize?

walt
06-13-2016, 03:11 PM
Hello everyone l recently had one of my discus get pop eye. Moved to a hospital tank started treating with tetracycline. The eye went down but looks like a tiny hole at bottom of eye relieved fluid build up in eye, I think must have hit the on something in tank. Now eye is white other eye is OK. Has anyone had anything similar happen and did the fish recover or would it be best to euthanize the fish. Thanks Walt

Phillydubs
06-13-2016, 03:32 PM
I see no reason to euthanize... Is the fish eating? Swimming correctly... How often are you changing water in your main tank and the hospital?

In my experience eye issues are a sure sign of poor water quality and if un attended and the WC isn't upped and cared for better than the problem will just get worse...

I would keep him alone in good clean fresh water daily and give it a few weeks should heal up

walt
06-13-2016, 04:13 PM
I do 5 50% wc a week he is not eating, I put some black neons in last week and didn't quarantine them. One of them died and I saw the discus picking at the dead neon could he got something from that. Also the eye is completely white worried about him being blind and then competing for food when I return to main tank.

Phillydubs
06-13-2016, 04:26 PM
Going to be hard to determine the exact cause but adding new fish with no qt def. doesn't bode well for your tank or the fish. You could have an probably introduced some nasties...

Are there any decor or wood or anything he could have poked it on?

I would try to do bigger wc as close to 100 as you can. Lets try and get him eating first before you worry about competing for food.

The white on the eye does it look like a film or just hazy or does the eye look punctured...

Can you post pics?

walt
06-13-2016, 05:55 PM
Eye looks punctured can't post pictures have him I 20 gallon rubber maid tote it's clear but frosted