PDA

View Full Version : quarantining shrimp

Dhavalsp
06-14-2016, 11:46 AM
How do you quarantine shrimp? for how long?

Darrell Ward
06-14-2016, 01:59 PM
Shrimp equals "Scooby snacks" for adult discus!:p

Dhavalsp
06-14-2016, 11:46 PM
yup, that's what I have gathered from some more reading...amano's maybe....les see...

Dhavalsp
07-03-2016, 08:51 PM
So i was repeatedly told that shrimp will get eaten by discus but i still went ahead and got 5 ghost shrimps (at 40 cents each i thought i will give it a try). they survived, i lost 2 but not to discus, they just failed to adjust to my 85-86F temp i guess. but other three are thriving, they swim in the open and my saints (discus, formerly) who are at 4+ inch don't even think about harming them. This is day three and my feeding is reduced as i am trying to get them to eat more pellets, i know not the best choice of time for this experiment.

If i see them intact even tomorrow, i am planing to get some amino shrimps. will keep you all posted

zergling
07-04-2016, 02:41 AM
Get your discus hungry enough and they will eventually hunt down the shrimps.

I had a breeding colony of hundreds of red cherry shrimp in my discus tank because the discus weren't interested / fast enough in hunting them down. I then went on a 3 week vacation and almost all the shrimp were gone when I got back. Only shrimplets hiding in the plants/wood survived the hungry discus.

Healthy Ghost shrimp will survive in the discus tank until they get hunted down. I had 6 in survive a 4-week QT in 82F. They were put in my discus tank months ago, and two were accounted for in my tank upgrade last week. I know one of the four that disappeared was eaten by my discus as I witnessed them tearing it apart limb by limb. Not sure if the other 3 that 'disappeared' were also eaten by discus or died by other causes.

TL;DR - Dwarf shrimp are discus snack. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.