PDA

View Full Version : Tested my new 1/2in OD water line today

Cosmo
06-14-2016, 08:55 PM
I installed a new 3.4gpm pump today and hooked it up to the 1/2OD tubing I installed through the walls last week. I hooked that up to a backflow device and into the top of the tank, using the same "spout" and sponge filter as used before with the 3/8OG tubing. In the pic below you can see the new pump (far left) with the blue tubing (1/2OD), the older 3.4pgm pump conntected to black (3/8OD) tubing, and the RO booster pump. This is a temporary setup only as the middle pump will be moved now that I'm satisfied with results.

I used the 3/8OD tubing/pump to fill the 30gal tank I have my BDs in (who haven't laid a single damn egg yet :p ) and without all the Y connectors and ball valves it went beautifully and the tank filled faster than it did when all the connectors were in place.

I then went to fill my 180 with the 1/2OD tubing, and as long as the water line was below the sponge it worked perfectly, and filled the tank far faster than what I was used to. Problems arose however when the waterline reached the sponge, and the sponge that used to stop ALL bubbles from forming with the 3/8OD tubing exploded with millions of tiny (micro?) bubbles. I shut it off immediately and tried a different configuration using the same sponge but less plastic restricting flow - better but still not what I wanted. I ended up fashioning a spray bar that I stick straight towards the front of the tank with extra large holes pointing towards the ends of the tank. This resulted in a nice flow of water in the two different directions that didn't result in an explosion of bubbles. (the spray bar is an eheim "installation kit" spray bar - I drilled out the holes and pointed two sections one way and two sections the other way)

So, I'd declaring the new setup a success.. YAY!!!!

time to change the pre-pump sediment filter for the RO... YUCK!! lol

rickztahone
06-15-2016, 08:50 PM
I ran in to a website that screams Jim:

http://www.cableorganizer.com/#

:laugh:

Cosmo
06-16-2016, 10:10 AM
I ran in to a website that screams Jim:

http://www.cableorganizer.com/#

:laugh:

ROFL

Hey, once it's no longer a work in progress I'll do some housecleaing :p These tanks however, are in a small storage room in the basement that no one ever sees except for myself whn I go downstairs t refill the tanks or do some sort of maintenance. function at thsi point takes a back seat to pretty lol