PDA

View Full Version : White Tube-like Feces

GVB
06-15-2016, 09:52 AM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
It started a few weeks ago with on fish about 2-3in in size so fairly young. At the time it was less social, sluggish, and non responsive to food. We figured it could just be one of those random phases our discus have gone through and overcome. Fast forward to now and there is a total of four in the tank, all around the same size, experiencing issues. It should be noted that these fish were chosen by myself down at Discus Hans in April so they are fairly new to the tank. I bought a larger 4in fish that is happy and devouring food. All of these new fish went into the same tank, a 55gal. In that tank there are also two 5-6in near adults who seem normal. So, the issue lays with my new juvenile fish but since the sickness seems to have spread I am being careful not to contaminate other fish in other tanks by moving the healthy fish out or even letting the water in that tank come into contact with the others... even if it is a water siphon that was in the tank.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
In addition to the reduction in social behavior, the fish fish tend to hide behind my sponge filters, they have seemingly no appetite or desire to eat, and just seem to move very slow. What is interesting that the fish appear healthy and nice and normal. I usually don't seek too much help but two new symptoms have arisen in the last few days. One of the fish looks like it has a very large, firm belly and this morning I noticed a giant white feces "tube" coming out of it as well.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
Having until now not seem the bloating and feces, I have been just doing a standard heat treatment. I am waiting on a 300watt Jager because I can't get the tank over 92 with what I have.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
55gal, 4 affected juveniles about 2-3in, 6 other fish in tank are fine

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
25% twice a week

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
Thinnest layer of white gravel there could possibly be, can see bottom of tank in most casest.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
Usually only for breeding.

8. Parameters and water source;
Well water in South Jersey. It goes through a capable filter before going into the tank. I also have the capability of making RO/DI in my two 55gal storage bins and can do mixtures of well and RO/DI

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____92

- ph _____ 7.6

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____light pink (lol) it is close to zero

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____100%

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
The four sick fish are of the five newest fish in that tank.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.