PDA

View Full Version : what is this strain

Davidzil
06-16-2016, 03:27 PM
What strain are we looking at here

Phillydubs
06-16-2016, 03:31 PM
Looks like some form or variation of a white butterfly...

You will see many different types, this one seems to have a more orange base and undertones. Some are stark white, others have more subtle scribbled markings of like a cream color variety...

DISCUS STU
06-16-2016, 03:43 PM
White Panda, White Butterfly, all names that are more marketing oriented and not scientific as in Latin. Bottom line, it's a type of Pigeon Blood.

rickztahone
06-16-2016, 03:43 PM
Looks like some form or variation of a white butterfly...

You will see many different types, this one seems to have a more orange base and undertones. Some are stark white, others have more subtle scribbled markings of like a cream color variety...

That is what I would call a classic look for a White Butterfly. Unfortunately, this isn't a greatly shaped one, but it seems to have good genes. If you have 2 of them and they pair up, you may have viable stock there OP

LizStreithorst
06-16-2016, 03:55 PM
There are lots of names. Basically it's a white pigeon. In Germany they may call it a blue pigeon. It has excellent coloration. No pepper at all that I can see. Unfortunately it appears to be stunted. The spotting is a huge plus. It could still be used as a breeder if you could find a suitable mate.

Davidzil
06-16-2016, 04:13 PM
This is not mine,
Thank you, I can see the shape issue.
Curious on the stunted part, Liz can you explain what you see.

rickztahone
06-16-2016, 04:34 PM
This is not mine,
Thank you, I can see the shape issue.
Curious on the stunted part, Liz can you explain what you see.

Large eye, pointy face, large dorsal anal fins suggest it is an adult but it still looks like a juvenile.

LizStreithorst
06-16-2016, 05:29 PM
What Ricardo said. I could see it with my eye but he translated what my eye saw into words.

nc0gnet0
06-16-2016, 07:14 PM
Ok,

I am going to go against the fold here a bit, and while it "might" be stunted, I am not so sure that is the case. he appears to be nice and thick, healthy little chap, a bit football shaped (as opposed to more round). Two things are adding to a larger than normal eye to body ratio that has people commenting (rightly or wrongly) on as to whether or not the fish is stunted.

1) Overall shape-elongated (football) shaped always have a lower eye-to-body ratio due to the fact they tend to have a more narrow head
2) Many of the "white" strains just plain have larger eyes,

Add those two things together and it gives the fish a "stunted" appearance. Can I ask how old the fish is and how long you have had it?

LizStreithorst
06-16-2016, 08:09 PM
You could be correct, Rick. Not likely but possible. Granted, the fish is in excellent condition. If we knew the age of the fish it would be easy to say. The OP does not own this fish. I wonder if it's owner know how old it is?