PDA

View Full Version : Constant "Mini Vacations"...??

Phillydubs
06-16-2016, 03:30 PM
So, I suppose I am posting this for either reassurance or just for general feedback and opinions...

Lately, my life has been hectic, I know, everyone is! Just these last 6-8 weeks have been nuts. Long story short, my wife had fallen ill and was hospitalized, I have 2 young children, I run a business and things have just been non-stop one thing after the next. Being the crazy fish guy I am and we all are, of course, even through trauma, I still stress over my fish and tanks and always strive for the best conditions for my fish. There were a many 2 am water changes or 5 am before the guys came in for work to try and keep up...

What seems to have been occurring lately, well the last few weeks, with these Monday holidays, a few pre-planned trips we had that ran fri-mon or whatever the case may be, I find I have been on "mini vaca's" so, so have my fish... Often, since my fish are in my office, they get a big WC Friday and they are left alone all weekend no feedings no nothing, thankfully this has worked and all has been fine. Granted I have big adult discus...

For Instance, this week, Monday, the fish were fed their regular feedings big WC, Tuesday fed regular, no WC, yesterday fed regular big WC...Today I had to be in court for work and just got back about an hour ago, I had my dispatcher call out sick already for tomorrow which means I'll be in at 6, my son has a bday party at 6, which means I need to be home by at least 5 to get the family to that... Point being is that I get to these points where I did a big WC and now I fight the decision, do I feed them and try and sneak in a 50% change tomorrow or do I just leave them for the next 3-4 days in clean water? Usually I decide to just leave them in clean water without food. I always fear that if something comes up tomorrow and I can't get to a WC then I am scrambling over the weekend to get back to my office or stressing that I fed them and about water quality.

So, after all the rambling... Does anyone see a problem with this or take issue with it or foresee problems occurring due to this? I am in no way saying this is my norm or I plan to stick to this routine or make it a regular thing. However, I know with summer here on our doorstep, these occurrences will pop their head up...

Thanks in advance to all who chime in!

LizStreithorst
06-16-2016, 04:09 PM
As long as your tanks are bare bottom and the fish are adults I would let them go without food and WC. You might sneak in a light feeding if you think that it will be 4 days without WC. Adult fish can handle it. You should be fine. Just do the best for them during this stressful time. Don't drive you self crazy over not being able to do for them what you would like to do. Trust me. They will be fine.

Phillydubs
06-16-2016, 04:13 PM
Thanks Liz...

My tanks are not bare bottom however, my wild tank has a thin sand layer and my domestic tank has bigger river rock/stone...

LizStreithorst
06-16-2016, 04:58 PM
In that case I would skip feeding altogether unless is was live CBW. You could give a light feeding of live CBW's every day and skip WC for 4 days. They are almost all eaten. If you feed lightly, one or two might be able to burrow down into the substrate but they will survive. They won't foul the water! Unfortunately, they must be kept in the fridge and rinsed with refrigerated, dechlorinated water daily. That itself makes them a bit of a PITA even when you're not pushed for time. Dan sells them. He is a sponsor here.

Mosquito larvae would make a good choice as well. I like to grow them myself so I know the the water they are living in. I can tell you how to do it if you like. But this solution is likely not right for your situation. If either of those foods won't work for you, just go about your business for 4 days and leave them alone. Trust me...The fish will be fine and when things settle down for you they will flock to the front of the tank as soon as they see your face.

Phillydubs
06-16-2016, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the support and info Liz! I may take you up on the larvae offer !

walt
06-16-2016, 07:46 PM
You certainly have a full plate hope your wife is well. Take care of your wife and kids your discus will be fine.

Phillydubs
06-16-2016, 08:01 PM
Thanks guys ! Much appreciated.