PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean sand

jim LI
06-17-2016, 08:55 AM
I am adding sand to my tank, which used to have gravel, but I am changing it out, What is the best or easier way to clean the sand. I am going to wash it to get all the dust out. but is there anything else i need to do? i am using pool filter sand i picked up at a local pool supply. it is silica based sand.

thanks,
jim

jmf3460
06-17-2016, 11:59 AM
nothing, just rinse and go.

Phillydubs
06-17-2016, 12:13 PM
Jim,

One huge piece of advice I can give and this may sound so simple but I totally missed it was to do small amounts at a time and tilt the damn bucket!!!

I was cleaning my sand, first time I ever used it, filling the bucket, mixing with my hand dumping it out, for the life of me, dirty sand...

Quick google, youtube video later and I was done in minutes...

If you tilt the bucket and blast it with a hose the crap comes flying out and the sand sits packed tight...

jim LI
06-17-2016, 12:35 PM
thanks for the replies and suggestion. i will tilt the bucket, phil.

thanks,
jim

Dhavalsp
06-17-2016, 02:35 PM
what Phil said...also keep the water running with tilted bucket, let all the lighter dirt (or even sand) flow out...the water becomes completely clear and you can see the cleaned sand settled down....lot of youtube videos available...

jmf3460
06-17-2016, 02:57 PM
also, just so you know. I use seachem sand, I put it directlyinto the tank, it creates a murky stain for a minute or so but has never hurt my discus, some even seem to like it.

chuckiesmalls
06-17-2016, 07:38 PM
man I woud love sand in my tank but I feel my skinny siphon I use for poop would just suck it all up....

What is the way to clean sand once in tank? Just one of the normal thicker siphons you can buy almost anywhere? I custom made my skinny one. Just like this..the exact person K.D. from Discus Daily group on FB gave me the idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqNVO_L61Zo

That's why I have really been liking bare bottom since I have switched a little over a month ago from gravel. Never no poop. I love it

two utes
06-17-2016, 08:42 PM

I use this very simple device, but slightly modified.
The clear rigid tube is approx' 1 3/4 inches by 9 inches long. Since my tank is 30 inches deep l have pushed the flexible hose through a piece of electrical conduit which acts as a handle to push the rigid clear tube into the sand. In addition l have inserted an irrigation valve which allows me to regulate the flow of water, but you can also regulate this by lifting the rigid tube above the sand. Since the tube is clear you can see it swirling around and the dirt being sucked through. All this while doing water changes works a treat.

Hope this helps Jim

jim LI
06-20-2016, 01:46 PM
I use a similar tube for my siphons. i can go into the sand with the tube and it mixes the sand up good and all the sand falls back down into the tank.

phil,
i did tilt the bucket. very fast and easy to clean..

....as an fyi i used 50 pound bag of sand for a 72 gallon tank. here is a pic of the finished product. very simple and modest tank.

Phillydubs
06-20-2016, 03:56 PM
Looks nice! Glad the tilt worked for you...

About how thick would you say the sand is? 50 pounds sounds like a lot for a 72... You may want to slowly extract some as your do water changes. You don't want the sand bed too thick!

jim LI
06-20-2016, 04:11 PM
thanks, phil. its not quite 3/4 of an inch. just enough to cover the bottom up to the tank trim at the bottom.

two utes
06-21-2016, 01:13 AM
Looks good. Just curious? Are you running 3 canister filters?

jim LI
06-21-2016, 09:25 AM
Looks good. Just curious? Are you running 3 canister filters?

yes, i am running 2 eheim 2217s and 1 eheim ecco 2232. the 2232 is for purigen and if i need to use carbon for some reason. easy to change out using the ecco.

Phillydubs
06-21-2016, 02:41 PM
Jim, I know you just did the overhaul, but any noticeable difference in the fish or the issues you were experiencing?

jim LI
06-21-2016, 03:51 PM
yes there has been. the small turk has now been eating the BF, which he shied away from and the FDBW cubes. the redcap was kind of laying on his side a lot, spinning slowly. he is acting more normal now, and occasionally eating the FDBW. i dropped the temp of the tank slowly from 90 to 82 over the weekend to bring the rams and cories back into the tank. i am now slowly raising it back to 86 that will hopefully promote better eating of the redcap. i still see a white poop and am treating with metro. thanks for asking.

jim