PDA

View Full Version : What type of wood should I get?

Pices
06-18-2016, 09:10 PM
Is there a certain type of wood discus prefer? I bought a piece of wood at a LFS today, but now I'm worried. He said they cut it off long dead tree in a guys backyard. I have been looking for wood and am having a hard time finding any.

Altum Nut
06-18-2016, 11:18 PM
I don't think discus prefer one wood over another but Manzanita Wood is widely used where Discus can swim through branch openings. There is a member selling some pieces you may be interested in http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?124716-FS-Manzanita-Wood

As for the wood you just bought...
I would warrant caution not knowing what type of wood it is. Surprised the LFS would sell an unlabeled product risking chances for a disaster to a paying customer.
If you can take a photo and post it maybe one of us can identify it.
Depending on the size...you cannot take any chances and will have to boil it somehow in the event it contains nasty critters or was chemically treated and will leach into water risking your Discus health.

...Ralph

Pices
06-19-2016, 08:13 AM
Thanks for your help. I was excited to find it, but on the way home, the rational side of my brain kicked in. He didn't know what kind of wood it was and complained that he ordered some that was expensive and didn't look good. It was my first time at this store. Again, I'm kicking myself, but at least I consulted with this forum before harming my fish. I don't know what I would do without you guys and your experienced advice. I'm new to this forum and have been busy rectifying past mistakes. Already my fish look better and happier.