PDA

View Full Version : The moonwalk.

Beestie
06-19-2016, 02:14 AM
Or moonswim rather. When my fish are grazing and another one comes to close, one of them does this swimming in place thing. Very micheal jacksony.

Does anyone know what they are trying to tell each other? I enjoy watching all the different ways fish communicate.

Second Hand Pat
06-19-2016, 07:07 AM
I think you are looking at a tail slap Wesley. Does it look like the fish are side by side and wiggle their bodies in place and tail slap each other?
Pat

Beestie
06-20-2016, 12:36 AM
They do that yes but dont touch.

nofearengineer
06-23-2016, 12:32 AM
HAHA, I'm glad this came up. Mine did this last week, and I had never seen anything like it. They were really going at it.

Beestie
06-23-2016, 12:54 AM
I'm trying to get a vid of this since Sunday, but do you think they want to cooperate. I saw it twice again during the week but as soon as I get my phone ready they be like, whats up nothing to see here. Haha will continue trying.

Its cute though, they look like they are trying to move at a fast pace but stay paddling in place. Its a slow powerful wiggle movement.

It starts with a battle over a peace of food, they will hit each other on the forehead and lips and then one will pull up next to the other one and do the thing and the fight is over and both just feed as normal. They might be evenly matched and flexing to show strength as non is submitting. I've seen them submitting on other occasions where the submitting fish will turn darker and list at 45 degrees and back off slowly.

plecocicho
07-01-2016, 09:12 AM
Its territorial display. When one fish slaps its tail fin, it creates water current, which is detected by another discus. The power of the current corelates with a strengh/fitness of the fish. Great way to tell them who is theri boss without need to hurt them in submission.