PDA

View Full Version : Eliminating stunting

megatrev62
06-20-2016, 03:41 PM
Would like to know if maintaining low nitrates would eliminate stunting in discus. Hand in hand with a high quality diet of course. If this is true, can one tell me what nitrate value is acceptable to eliminate this. Is there a standard to guarantee this? Thanks

Second Hand Pat
06-20-2016, 03:54 PM
Tried and true way to eliminate stunting is with large daily water changes when the fish are below five inches and lots of good food. If you are watching nitrates you are paying attention to the wrong thing IMO.
Pat

John_Nicholson
06-20-2016, 03:55 PM
You still have the pecking order issue....

Also just checking your water for nitrates is kind of like going to the heart surgeon, having him look down your throat, saying ahhhh, and deeminh you healthy.

-john

megatrev62
06-20-2016, 04:09 PM
Tried and true way to eliminate stunting is with large daily water changes when the fish are below five inches and lots of good food. If you are watching nitrates you are paying attention to the wrong thing IMO.
Pat

Thanks. But maintaining low nitrates is indicative of large and frequent water changes is it not. I hear what you're saying and agree. Checking them once is enough to know whether you are slipping and getting lazy.

megatrev62
06-20-2016, 04:13 PM
Could a fish that is 5+ inches still stunt at that size?

Dhavalsp
06-20-2016, 05:15 PM
Could a fish that is 5+ inches still stunt at that size?

Are you asking whether a healthy, well kept fish which has reached 5 inch can stunt , i.e remains at 5 inches and doesn't grow? ...yes, it can happen, your fish may just grow to 5.5 inch and stop growing further... you can lax your WC schedule at that size, but you still have to do everything else..good food, right tank mates, appropriate lighting(some thing that does not spooks them) and so on,,