PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly Breeding male Discus behaving strange !!

Md. Shafiqual Alam
06-26-2016, 05:24 AM
Hi,

One of my Brilliant Terq Discus (male) has been behaving strange since last week.

Symptom
1. He become very afraid when I m around, even when ceiling fan is running.
2. He stays just right top front corner since last week
3. Not taking food.
4. No physical symptom of injury/hole or anything..
6. Sometimes swiming very fast like crazy
7. Female (Cobalt blue) looks fine

Existing Environment:
1. w/c = 100% every 2 days
2. Ro water+ Tap w/c = 20+80
3. Aged water
4. Temp = 29c
5. PH 7.5 ~ 7.8 (stable)
6. TDS 70~80ppm
7. Tank size 25gallon
8. Food:
i. Hikari Bio-gold: 8 am &10 pm
ii. BH: once a week
9. Pair: Proven & Successful with a big batch

Help please .....

Altum Nut
06-26-2016, 12:33 PM
Hello Shibly...just judging by the symptom's you laid out above it is very hard to determine the possible cause. Your water perimeters and routine w/c's seem fine and know your high temp is hard to lower a tad remembering in past threads where you are located.
Is this pair currently guarding a batch of fry? if so you can try and take out female and see if male returns to normal. He could be stressed out if female is larger and taking sole control over fry.
OR... someone hopefully will chime in with suggestions.

...Ralph

Md. Shafiqual Alam
06-29-2016, 01:00 AM
Hello Shibly...just judging by the symptom's you laid out above it is very hard to determine the possible cause. Your water perimeters and routine w/c's seem fine and know your high temp is hard to lower a tad remembering in past threads where you are located.
Is this pair currently guarding a batch of fry? if so you can try and take out female and see if male returns to normal. He could be stressed out if female is larger and taking sole control over fry.
OR... someone hopefully will chime in with suggestions.

...Ralph

Thank you Ralph for your indication. No they are not guarding now. I have migrate the male to another 25G tank 3 days before and put 3 tbsp salt there with temp set at 30c. Then he looks ok for last 3 days and moving nicely around the tank. But night before yesterday I on the dripping system and water slowly changes 100% over the night and at morning with fresh water I found that the male is again located at top corner ! seems salt in water gives him comfort. What might the cause for this symptom ?

smsimcik
06-30-2016, 11:22 AM
Hi Shibly,
I recently had a perfectly healthy 7 month old do the same thing you described. It began right after a water change with tap water. I suspected it was related to a ph swing but I don't know that for sure. He never got back to normal and I culled him after a few days. All the other discus in the tank have been fine.
Since you use aged water I would not think a ph change is a factor.
I'm like you. I don't know what caused this and I wish I knew.