PDA

View Full Version : mixing wilds and domestics

jimmie
06-28-2016, 10:39 PM
so I have a 300 gal and a 250. connected through the filter. this filter consists of a 70 gal, and 2 100 gal rubber maid stock tanks. the 70 contains heaters, bio balls, 600 pot scrubbies, some egg crate and on top of that bonded dacron for filter floss. one 100 gal tank contains nothing but wood, the last 100 gal is where the pump is hooked up. now i have heard to never mix these two kinds of discus. due to disease transfer. I have domestics now in a separate 300. i would like wilds and i would like them in their own tank. so as not to detract from their beauty. i would like to keep the other kind in a separate tank but on the same system. so that i could keep something that has different needs in the other 300. what would i need to do to minimize the negatives of this kind of set up? currently the 300 that is separate has had discus in it for 4 years. my tanks are currently on tap water. would you suggest going back to r/o to be successful at breeding? I have two that breed occasionally. they always eat them before hatching. and i just haven't gotten serious enough to separate them.since the wood i collect is from my dads lake which contains "fresh water shrimp" all of my tanks are full of these copepods. to me those seem good. there a great food sorce and to my tell of a great eco system.I know i have jumped around in this post. hopefully you can understand what im asking

jimmie
06-28-2016, 10:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCscZ6oF4XqIwgnx6IXxBCTA

old video. but same set up

Ryan
07-02-2016, 02:11 AM
I am usually against tanks on a system because if a problem breaks out in one tank, it's instantly in all of them. If you're already keeping the tanks separate, my suggestion would be to keep the filtration separate too.

Having said that, there's no reason you cannot mix wilds and domestics if they've all been quarantined well and you think they're healthy. It's the same procedure as mixing any two discus sources.

jimmie
07-02-2016, 10:41 AM
K thanks.I haven't had any disease or issues like that. figured the more volume the more stable the system.. Like having a huge tank. but i can keep fish of different size and attitudes. I have forgot the hose on twice and killed the whole thing. which gets expensive when your loosing $1,000 worth at a time.My discus are in another 300 gal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6-EGB--HKc old video before the last freeze out