PDA

View Full Version : Strange wound around one of the fins of my Discus

Aronax
06-29-2016, 04:12 PM
Hello,

I am new to the forum. My name is Dimo from Bulgaria.
1. There is a really strange wound around one of the fins of 1 of my Discus. No one could help me in the Bulgarian forums so i came here to ask you guys if you can help me. Sorry if I make any mistakes but English is not my native language. I have noticed the problem yesterday. The fish is eating good and its swimming around the tank. The only strange thing is that the fish doesn't move the injured fin very often. It looks like a wound but i'm not 100% sure. Some people said its a wound, others said its bacterial infection or a prasite, or when the fish fights with the other male it could get injured.

2. I cannot see any other symptoms except that wound.

3. I haven't treated any medications yet as all the other fish look healthy.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
500 liters.
12 fish ranging from 6 to 14 sm.
2 Pigeon Blood
5 Turqs
1 Blue Diamond
4 Leopards

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
200 liters every 7 days.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Tanks been running 4 months. Bottom feeders (plecos) went in after two weeks. Substrate is JBL Manado 5 sm. deep.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I change 100 liters of RO water and 100 liters of tap water aged for 4-5 days. The Ph swing is around 0.2

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _31 Celsius____

- ph _7.2____

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading _50___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- tap water __50%__

- RO water __50%__

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
No

Here are some pictures i made with my phone, not very good quality but i hope they help:

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss107/Dimo_Ivanov/1_zpsmcsqchfk.jpg

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss107/Dimo_Ivanov/2_zpsn29vywpk.jpg

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss107/Dimo_Ivanov/3_zpshybqqi8z.jpg

brewmaster15
06-29-2016, 04:55 PM
Hi Dimo,
Welcome to SimplyDiscus!

Looking at the picture it looks like it could be a localized bacterial infection, but really what comes to mind is something viral like lymphocyctis. How long has this fish been like this? and Can you move it to a hospital tank?

al

Aronax
06-29-2016, 05:05 PM
Hello Al. Thanks for answering that fast,

I cannot move the fish to a hospital tank, I don't have one.... I have noticed this "wound" yesterday. Should i start with medications ASAP or wait few more days to see how its going? Is it possible to be a wound from the fights he has with the other male fish?

brewmaster15
06-29-2016, 06:42 PM
Hello Al. Thanks for answering that fast,

I cannot move the fish to a hospital tank, I don't have one.... I have noticed this "wound" yesterday. Should i start with medications ASAP or wait few more days to see how its going? Is it possible to be a wound from the fights he has with the other male fish?

Hi Dimo,
Its an odd spot for a wound....it looks almost like the sores completely circle around the fish fin.

I would not add medications yet to the water, but I think swabbing the area with iodine may be worth trying. You can find info here...http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?117106-Treating-topically-(Iodine-H2O2-etc)

Then just watch carefully the next few days. if it gets worse, you may want to try an antibiotic in case its bacterial and not viral.

hth,
al

Aronax
06-30-2016, 03:42 AM
I just did what you said with iodine, in case I need to add antibiotic to the aquarium, what type i should use? The strange thing is that it looks like a wound but there are little white bubbles on it.

Thanks.