PDA

View Full Version : Oily slick

Bc chick
06-30-2016, 08:47 AM
I've been doing a lot of research on pH levels cuz I thought the pH level in my tank was too high but I'm realizing that a lot of people have the same levels as I am my original problem that led me to looking into this is I have an oil slick on the top of my water in I can take it out with paper towel but after a couple of days it slowly builds up again. The only research I can find on this was related to high pH levels but others seem to have the same levels as I and don't seem to have this problem with oil slick. Is anybody come across this before do you know what this is. Levels are fine with pH 7.8 ammonia at zero nitrate at zero and nitrates at 50. Since this problem I've been doing water changes every other day. But if left unchanged for 2 or 3 days I can slowly see the build-up.

brewmaster15
06-30-2016, 09:27 AM
What are you feeding your discus?

al

Bc chick
06-30-2016, 09:59 AM
Sorry. Should have mentioned. Im starting up a new sep quarantine tank first its cycling right now. So im just starting into discus but want to solve this first on my current com tank. Third new tank for discus under construction.
Community tank:
65g
1 angle
1 vampire pleco
1 reg pleco
1 pictus cat
3 barbs
3 neons
2 tetras
Food aqueon colir enhancing trop flakes
Pleco pwafers

brewmaster15
06-30-2016, 10:13 AM
Your tank doesn't sound overstocked and your pH is not a problem in of itself.

Oils maybe coming from the foods. If it was me I would try new foods first...Thats the easiest step to take to rule one possible source.

hth,
al

Bc chick
06-30-2016, 10:22 AM
Thanks. Picking up new plants today so will grab something. Any suggestions on what to look for. Also loved the presentation. I was saying it sould be a requirement to watch as registration lol. I wanted to know what kind of plant you were referring to that looks good with roots draping into tank?

brewmaster15
06-30-2016, 10:41 AM
I'm not a huge user of flakes you may find at LFS, but Ocean Nutrition flakes were always a decent choice. Cobalt are good too..

Glad you like the Presentation! Thanks!

The plants I was referring to are terrestrial plants, Pothos and Philodendrons...
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?60484-Brews-quot-Planted-quot-tanks&highlight=pothos+plants+brewmaster15

Bc chick
06-30-2016, 12:50 PM
Hmmm neither of those....wut about bug bites. Thats what they are suggesting

Skip
06-30-2016, 01:36 PM
Where are you getting your water source.. ?? well.. city tap>???

my tap water was 8.2. to 8.4.. no problems.. consistent water parameters will do your fish wonders..

Bc chick
06-30-2016, 03:32 PM
Tap water. My levels are consistant. Reg w/c. What are you getting at? Are you saying the slick is because of ph levels?

DJW
06-30-2016, 05:08 PM
I get a film sometimes on the surface that comes and goes in tanks that get less frequent water changes. Adding an airstone will usually get rid of it.

You should test your tap water for nitrate.

Bc chick
06-30-2016, 06:18 PM
Right from tap?

Second Hand Pat
06-30-2016, 06:29 PM
Right from tap?

Yes, right from the tap.
Pat

Bc chick
06-30-2016, 06:58 PM
Im sorry i realized that was typo. Nitrates 5.0 is that why you said to test it straight from tap?

Bc chick
06-30-2016, 06:59 PM
I get a film sometimes on the surface that comes and goes in tanks that get less frequent water changes. Adding an airstone will usually get rid of it.

You should test your tap water for nitrate.

When i touch it, it backs away from my finger like dish soap does to grease

Bc chick
06-30-2016, 07:01 PM
Oh n my fingers are clean. I washed after dinner lol

DJW
06-30-2016, 09:57 PM
Im sorry i realized that was typo. Nitrates 5.0 is that why you said to test it straight from tap?

We will blame the decimal point. 50 is bloodcurdling, 5 is music to your ears.

Willie
07-01-2016, 08:36 AM
I had an oil slick at the top of my altum angel tank because they love frozen mysis, which is kinda greasy. The 110 gal tank has some corys, some rummynose, and 5 altums, so overstocking is not a problem. I also make daily 50% water changes, so it's not the water. I added one of those wavemakers and the slick went away. It only reappears if I forget to turn on the wavermaker.

Willie

Bc chick
07-01-2016, 09:36 AM
I had an oil slick at the top of my altum angel tank because they love frozen mysis, which is kinda greasy. The 110 gal tank has some corys, some rummynose, and 5 altums, so overstocking is not a problem. I also make daily 50% water changes, so it's not the water. I added one of those wavemakers and the slick went away. It only reappears if I forget to turn on the wavermaker.

Willie

Well i let the LFS talk me into bug bites. Tried them last night. Those little suckers are so small. So what did i do?? Overfed. Poor little guys had suck bloated tummies. Wavemake? So am i needing more flo? I dont have filter at max. Also should i just lower out put a bit. Or does the wavemaker do something better?

bluelagoon
07-01-2016, 09:51 AM
You need a bit of surface movement to filter that out.The oils are more than likely amino and fatty acids/proteins,that have been passed through the fish.

DJW
07-01-2016, 10:07 AM

Come to think of it, I have seen a thin sheen if the light was just right in a tank that got big daily water changes. There was no change in food. I figured it was a protein bloom of some sort. I skimmed it off with a cup and a day or two later it was gone.

Bc chick
07-01-2016, 10:19 AM
Yes exactly. OK ight has to be perfect agle to see. I can soak it up with paper towel but after a couple days it appears again

Bc chick
07-01-2016, 11:07 AM
Well i let the LFS talk me into bug bites. Tried them last night. Those little suckers are so small. So what did i do?? Overfed. Poor little guys had suck bloated tummies. Wavemake? So am i needing more flo? I dont have filter at max. Also should i just lower out put a bit. Or does the wavemaker do something better?

Ok now im wondering if its overfeeding can my angel still be bloated from yesterday or could it be something else.

Bc chick
07-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Sry still learning the pic posting thing

Bc chick
07-01-2016, 12:42 PM
Anyone?

Skip
07-01-2016, 01:29 PM
Tap water. My levels are consistant. Reg w/c. What are you getting at? Are you saying the slick is because of ph levels?

NOPE!!! not at all..

TRYING to say.. .you pH levels are not high.. don't mess with pH.. or chase pH.. jus use the water you have... you will fish will happy for it.

Bc chick
07-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Any suggestions on the angel?

gators111
07-11-2016, 12:54 PM
You could try Epsom salt. As far as the oil slick goes, I used a skimmer attachment on the intake of my canister on my old tank. Worked like a charm and was cheap, 15 bucks.