PDA

View Full Version : Can Potassium Permanganate Expire?

LeeJunKi
06-30-2016, 01:17 PM
hi all, I recently brought some new fish. I would like to do some potassium treatment before introduce them to my main tank, I got this potassium permangante powder I bought couple years back. can these thing go expire?

Keith Perkins
06-30-2016, 03:49 PM
Not in my experience. I just made up a fresh batch from some powder that was several years old and it seemed to work just fine.

pitdogg2
06-30-2016, 04:05 PM
I'm with Keith on this if it was a liquid my answer would be different.

Davidzil
07-11-2016, 04:52 PM
The only thing they say is to keep it in a dark container, light is the only issue

MD.David
07-11-2016, 09:37 PM
Be very very careful treating with this!
Too little will do nothing, too much will burn the gills out.
I have used it in the past and simple gave it up, I don't think (in the powder form) it will ever go bad.
Over the past few years I have my group of 20plus adults, I don't ever add more stock, I bread for fun time to time and to keep my stock up that way, I have several generations currently.
To be honest I'm glad I'm past the point of continually stocking, you will loose many discus that way.
As far as treating with PP, I would be very very careful.

DISCUS STU
07-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Be very very careful treating with this!
Too little will do nothing, too much will burn the gills out.
I have used it in the past and simple gave it up, I don't think (in the powder form) it will ever go bad.
Over the past few years I have my group of 20plus adults, I don't ever add more stock, I bread for fun time to time and to keep my stock up that way, I have several generations currently.
To be honest I'm glad I'm past the point of continually stocking, you will loose many discus that way.
As far as treating with PP, I would be very very careful.

Same here. I once wiped out a nicely stocked 90 gal. by using too much of this. I don't use it anymore, too volatile and difficult to control. I think it also will wipe out your bio filter. For skin and gill issues there are other treatments that are effective.

Keith Perkins
07-12-2016, 11:29 AM
Same here. I once wiped out a nicely stocked 90 gal. by using too much of this. I don't use it anymore, too volatile and difficult to control. I think it also will wipe out your bio filter. For skin and gill issues there are other treatments that are effective.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. If you treat using stock solution and the instructions available here on Simply it's as safe or safer than most medications. You can also visually see how it's performing, which you can't with meds. Not to mention it's cheaper to use than virtually anything else, except of course good clean water. I'll always swear by PP for bacterial issues, sanitizing driftwood and other aquarium items, and seriously knocking back flukes.

MD.David
07-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Yes, it will totally wipe out all BB.

MD.David
07-12-2016, 12:23 PM
For flukes the best I found is "fluke solve", which seems to eradicate it if you triple the time of medicated days. From what I remember (from two years ago) I had to treat for bacterial infections for 10 days after. Which means your eradication protocol seems to last almost 40-45 days (including the 10 day treatment of bacterial infections).
Needless to say after 45 days of meds, they usually don't look so good, mine took about 15 days after to bounce back, but wow did they really come back to life. The picky eaters (we all know we have them), seem to no be picky anymore and all devour their food and the health of the color, appetite, and weight gain of all my discus were really amazing.
It's had to explain to someone that hasn't seen it, but when they are actually finally free of all illnesses and parasites the discus really show their colors and personality.
As PP goes if your not interested in learning the hard way or not experience i possibly may choose another route.
But to each their own, many different ways to getting to a positive end goal.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. If you treat using stock solution and the instructions available here on Simply it's as safe or safer than most medications. You can also visually see how it's performing, which you can't with meds. Not to mention it's cheaper to use than virtually anything else, except of course good clean water. I'll always swear by PP for bacterial issues, sanitizing driftwood and other aquarium items, and seriously knocking back flukes.

Davidzil
07-12-2016, 05:08 PM
Fluke solve is a koi med with Praziquantel - what ratio do you use per gallon?

Davidzil
07-12-2016, 05:13 PM
I am in with Keith, PP has many uses, it is one of those now you see it - now you don't, you can always deactivated with peroxide.
The solution based, doesn't even stain your tank, great for disinfecting.

MD.David
07-12-2016, 08:43 PM
I can't remember but I do remember it came with instructions.

Fluke solve is a koi med with Praziquantel - what ratio do you use per gallon?

LizStreithorst
07-12-2016, 09:20 PM
It may loose strength but if you dose it according to it's color it will do the job. The water should be deep pink but not purple. I love the stuff. It does a great job and takes very little time to do a great job.

MD.David
07-13-2016, 01:46 PM
Hi Liz,
Could u post a picture of the color u speak of?.... this would help so many.
Cheers!
😁

It may loose strength but if you dose it according to it's color it will do the job. The water should be deep pink but not purple. I love the stuff. It does a great job and takes very little time to do a great job.

LizStreithorst
07-13-2016, 03:29 PM
I can't. I havent been in need of pp for a long while. I ran out and haven't bought more.

It was Kenny who taught me about PP and how to use it. He told me over the phone and I managed it. He said deep pink, not purple. The first time you do it you will want to keep a close eye on the fish for stress during treatment. If the fish show signs of stress you either need to do a WC to remove some PP or add peroxide or declorinator to deactivate it. I've never had to do that.

PP is my favorite treatment. It is quick and easy on the fish if done correctly. The fish always seem to feel better after treatment than before. I guess I need to order some...

Filip
07-13-2016, 04:50 PM
I can't. I havent been in need of pp for a long while. I ran out and haven't bought more.

It was Kenny who taught me about PP and how to use it. He told me over the phone and I managed it. He said deep pink, not purple. The first time you do it you will want to keep a close eye on the fish for stress during treatment. If the fish show signs of stress you either need to do a WC to remove some PP or add peroxide or declorinator to deactivate it. I've never had to do that.

PP is my favorite treatment. It is quick and easy on the fish if done correctly. The fish always seem to feel better after treatment than before. I guess I need to order some...

And for how long do you dip your discus in this deep pink solution ?
I have also use it in the past and I can also report immediate alliviation of discus problems and positive response , but ever since I joined SD I read about how PP can easily burn gills , and now I'm hesitant to use it again in case of emergency.

LizStreithorst
07-13-2016, 05:07 PM
4 hrs.

Don't be afraid, but watch the fish the first time They will tell you if they are stressed. After the first or second time you can slack off on watching.

If I can do it anyone can do it. Yes, it can burn the gills if overdosed. It's an oxidizer. It can kill fish, too if overdosed. I believe that it was smart Josie who killed some fish with it when she was new and stupid. You need to watch the fish during treatment until you get the hang of it.

Filip
07-14-2016, 03:04 AM
4 hrs.

Don't be afraid, but watch the fish the first time They will tell you if they are stressed. After the first or second time you can slack off on watching.

If I can do it anyone can do it. Yes, it can burn the gills if overdosed. It's an oxidizer. It can kill fish, too if overdosed. I believe that it was smart Josie who killed some fish with it when she was new and stupid. You need to watch the fish during treatment until you get the hang of it.

4 hours ? Wow.
I've never had the courage to do it more than 30 min.
Discus almost never show any signs of distress while dipping in . They were always more distressed and laying sideways during Salt dips IME , even though PP is rated to be more harsh treat than salt dips.

DISCUS STU
07-14-2016, 10:58 AM
It would be good to see a comprehensive thread on the proper use of PP. Ups, downs, all around. What it treats, what it doesn't, effects on the bio filter, etc. I still have a good amount of this and haven't used it due to a bad experience but I'm looking at very positive experiences posted here and want to keep an open mind about this.

Keith Perkins
07-14-2016, 10:35 PM
It would be good to see a comprehensive thread on the proper use of PP. Ups, downs, all around. What it treats, what it doesn't, effects on the bio filter, etc. I still have a good amount of this and haven't used it due to a bad experience but I'm looking at very positive experiences posted here and want to keep an open mind about this.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?70066-Using-Potassium-Permanganate-aka-PP