PDA

View Full Version : Eye of the Beholder - Standard Blue Diamond vs. Bulldog Blue Diamond

DISCUS STU
07-01-2016, 09:56 PM
Found this one on the left at a local importer as a "Bulldog Blue Diamond". It was very large and probably close to 5 1/2" (13.97 cm.) if not slightly more in height. It was fascinating to me but at the same time I found it to be almost grotesque in the way it had been bred to be so disproportionately tall.

On the right it's contrasted against more of a standard Blue Diamond from one of my tanks. While this one isn't perfect it is more proportionate and "Discus Round".

Please note that these pics. are not to scale as the proportions of the larger one on the left made it difficult to present it to scale against the one on the right which is not as large.

Ryan
07-02-2016, 02:07 AM
I don't really consider the fish on the left to be a bulldog because a bulldog tends to have a caudal peduncle that indents as a heart shape at the rear of the body, and the face is usually deformed. This is what I would call high body or standing egg. Also, the fish on the left is not a Blue Diamond because it has patterning in the fins and on the face. It's likely a cobalt/Reflection D, or maybe even Blue Scorpion (BD x SS).

DISCUS STU
07-02-2016, 08:18 AM
OK, but not really what I'm getting at.