PDA

View Full Version : Easy Cleaning on a 9x2.5x2.5 tank

axl10
07-03-2016, 07:07 AM
Hi Guys,
just planning my new 9x2.5x2.5 tank and need to peoples thoughts on what they would do to syphon all the waste and poo out of the tank. I have got a drain built into the floor in the cabinet and being 2.5ft tall has it challenges. In the past with other tanks i have used a 40mm clear hose and suck on end and then suck all the waste up. Is there any better diy that i can do so this easy to do. I have got a 25mm bulkhead drilled into tank for easy water changes and htis hooked straightly into the drain with a tap.

Cheers Tim

rickztahone
07-03-2016, 11:04 AM
Put a true union ball valve of that bulkhead that you plan on using fir water changes. When you need to vacuum just attach a hose to that bulkhead via pvc and barb and siphon out as much as you want. When done, close the valve

axl10
07-03-2016, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the info but won't that be harder to do than using a python that reaches to the bottom of the tank. With your method i would have to reach in and take the strainer out and hook up a hose that is covered by driftwood etc. I think a 30 inch python attach to a small hose that goes into drain will be alot easy to do.

pastry
07-03-2016, 07:41 PM
Rick, is that like a pvc pipe with two outlets (maybe a t shape) with one serving as a drain in the other serving as a separate hook up to use for siphoning?) with valve inside tank as well? Just trying to learn before getting next tank because I want to have smarter and more efficient plumbing. Can't figure out my brain a good visual

rickztahone
07-04-2016, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the info but won't that be harder to do than using a python that reaches to the bottom of the tank. With your method i would have to reach in and take the strainer out and hook up a hose that is covered by driftwood etc. I think a 30 inch python attach to a small hose that goes into drain will be alot easy to do.
Yes, you would have to reach in to the tank. Personally, I find the idea of taking out a python, siphoning it, using and then having to store it a much bigger chore than reaching in to the tank to remove a strainer. Different strokes, as they say.

Rick, is that like a pvc pipe with two outlets (maybe a t shape) with one serving as a drain in the other serving as a separate hook up to use for siphoning?) with valve inside tank as well? Just trying to learn before getting next tank because I want to have smarter and more efficient plumbing. Can't figure out my brain a good visual

I can post a pic of what I am talking about. Actually, if I remember correctly, you can see it in action in my 60% WC video. Let me go look for it.

Edit:
here you go:

https://youtu.be/l8CBrK6xbak

Debow
07-04-2016, 10:15 PM
I use a regular sphion with a 25' garden hose instead of the little 4' along with a step lader, after I clean the poop and clean the sand I sit on the couch and watch the water drain wile having a beer. When done I pull the sphion out and pump back in the water. All in all takes me 30 min to drain and fill 100+ gallons.

axl10
07-04-2016, 10:55 PM
Hey,
can't see your setup in the video of what you mean. Would love to see it mate and I'm thinking of a way to have one outlet for the strainer on and the other barb to connect a hose too without taking off the strainer. But how would you stop the strainer inlet from draining water why you siphon out with the hose. If you had a tee on the bulkehead i would need a way to stop the strainer side of it from draining.

Beestie
07-06-2016, 01:39 AM
Rick, haha that awkward wait while the water fills up in the vid. So I'm not the only one that doesn't know what to do with myself while filling. I tried walking around the house once but got distracted and almost overflowed my tank. Good times... Nice fish by the way.

rickztahone
07-06-2016, 07:37 PM
Hey,
can't see your setup in the video of what you mean. Would love to see it mate and I'm thinking of a way to have one outlet for the strainer on and the other barb to connect a hose too without taking off the strainer. But how would you stop the strainer inlet from draining water why you siphon out with the hose. If you had a tee on the bulkehead i would need a way to stop the strainer side of it from draining.

I guess it is kind of difficult to see in the video, but I simply have a Bulk head a few inches from the bottom of the tank. I then insert a 1" pvc and that has a couple of elbows with an adapted barb. I then have the hose connected to that. Behind the tank I have a True union ball valve and I simply turn the valve when I'm ready to do WC which you see me reach for in the video. Turn the knob to close when done and that's it.

rickztahone
07-06-2016, 07:37 PM
Rick, haha that awkward wait while the water fills up in the vid. So I'm not the only one that doesn't know what to do with myself while filling. I tried walking around the house once but got distracted and almost overflowed my tank. Good times... Nice fish by the way.

Yeah, I no longer walk around during filling because when I had my 125, I would flood the kitchen floor at least once a week.

DJW
07-06-2016, 10:16 PM
You are either going to drain the tank and siphon through a bulkhead, or through a hose draped over the side of the tank rim. I would not want to have 10 feet of hose sloshing around across the length of the tank if there was driftwood and plants. Either way it amounts to the same thing. You can arrange a remote control pump, even a remote control valve, like this one...

http://ussolid.com/catalog/product/view/id/67/s/1-2-brass-electric-solenoid-valve-24vac-viton-seal-n-c-air-gas-fuel/category/13/

It works great to have a bulkhead for the main drain, but for siphoning the length of the tank I would prefer having it plumbed around the tank bulkhead, not through it.