PDA

View Full Version : Possibly sick wild discus

jackstachi
07-07-2016, 07:00 AM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

I bought a group of 7 wild green discus last week and 2 days ago i've noticed one of them got darker than the others, breathing heavier and body is angled towards the tank floor more. Will post video and pics below. He is still eating although not as aggressive as others.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Fins little clamped, abit of tail standing and abit darker. Not eating as aggressively

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Tank is 90 gals, have dosed with wormer plus last night and added 6 tsp of aquarium salt.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

48x24x18 (90 gal) 7 adult wild caught discus

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

Since this filter (home made bucket filter with marine pure cubes and sponge running on airline) has only been established for 1 month. I've been changing around 50% every 3 days

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

One month, used an existing filter for another tank. Bare bottom and it's 18' deep. Running a home made bucket filter and 2 sponge filters

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

No i just use prime. Tap water ph is 6.8 but after settled it's 7.6 which can be a problem i think as maybe the marine pure cubes raises ph? I had the media in cichlid tank before and rinsed it out in tank water but ph still reads high? Maybe i should change the media?

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 30-31c_____

- ph 7.6_____

- ammonia reading 0____

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __10__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- municipal water

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

no

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

https://vid.me/ndkJ

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/Jackstachi/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsoxezxpej.jpeg.html

Thank you!

Phillydubs
07-07-2016, 10:17 AM
Jack,

Welcome to the forum...

Where did these fish come from? Was it a reputable source or a sponsor here on the forum?

First things are your water changes, they really need to be upped and a lot. 50% every 3 days isn't really going to cut it, even with wild discus. I have wilds myself and I do 50% every other day religiously. Especially with a newer tank and filtration. I know you moved a seeded filter over but you added heavy to the bioload, that filter will need time and lots of clean water to catch up and keep up. The filter media you moved, where did that come from. You could have easily contaminated things there and should really start fresh or get media from the tank the fish are coming from, not just some random other tank.

Why did you start a de-wormer, were they not de-wormed before you purchased them? If worms arent your issue then you are administering un needed meds which also isnt good.

I would really up the water changes asap. also, you may need to age your water, it sounds like your ph is swinging all over the place and in large amounts. Can you age water? you should fill a bucket test your ph from the tap then let it sit with an air stone 24 hrs and test again. If you are getting a high swing as it seems you are then this is going to harm the fish. They can really handle a wide array of ph but steady is the key, if you are jumping all over it will not be good for them.

jackstachi
07-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Thanks for your reply phil. I seeded with filter with goldfish. Since worming them the second the discus that was a worry is alot better now! I have no problem doing large water changes but some people told me changing too much water will upset the bateria load? Do u recommend adding peat moss for a more steady ph? I will definately age my water from now on!

jackstachi
07-08-2016, 11:48 AM
Not sure if metro does worming but the shop said they treated them with metro? He is not very reputablebut this is the last lot of wilds that can ever be shipped to australia!

Phillydubs
07-08-2016, 12:36 PM
If your tank is properly cycled and filtered then removing bad dirty water and replacing it with good clean water will in no way effect your bio load, if anything it will improve it and keep it healthy and active and doing its job between water changes.

I noticed along with many other wild keepers that they prefer a less often water change routine which is why I do 50% every other day.

I don't use peat moss but some do, I age my water and have been using my routine for a while and it seems to work, I don't really add much but prime...

I am not sure about meds, someone else will need to help you there