PDA

View Full Version : Question about filtration

scrappinjaime
07-07-2016, 05:56 PM
I am looking at either a 75 gallon or 90 gallon tank. Which is better for filtration, two marineland 400 over and back or a wet/dry sump underneath with the tank drilled in the corner and if one is better than the other, about how much, like one is 50% better or???

chuckiesmalls
07-07-2016, 08:18 PM
most people would say a large sump is the way to go. How much better? I have no idea..

Personally I always have at least 2 forms of filtration in case one goes out on me.

jim LI
07-08-2016, 09:14 AM
I have a 72 gallon and use 2 -2217 eheim canister filters. i have had them on my tank for 3 years and no issues. i can't speak about sumps. i have never had 1.

DISCUS STU
07-08-2016, 11:11 AM
I have a 72 gallon and use 2 -2217 eheim canister filters. i have had them on my tank for 3 years and no issues. i can't speak about sumps. i have never had 1.

I use this combo for my 90 gal. They are in circuit with the first containing all of the filter materials such as the noodles, filter floss, etc. the second has ehfisubstrat for bio filtration. An old 8 watt UV that I found somewhere in the apartment is the last stage.

scrappinjaime
07-08-2016, 06:09 PM
Having 2 Eheim 2217 isn't too much water flow for them?? also, since I'm starting new, would it be better to buy a more powerful Eheim say the Ehiem pro 4 + 600 than to have two canisters?? Do the Eheim canisters have trays for the different media? I never owned a Eheim, I had a filstar and it had trays for the different media. Thank you

jim LI
07-09-2016, 05:35 PM
I don't use the spray bars on my eheims, i use a swivel pipe outlet. it directs the flow at the top of the tank. the fish are fine in them. the 2217s do not have trays for the media. they all just sit on top of each other. eheim ecco canister filters use trays. https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/technology/external-filters/ecco-pro...
i do use a mosquito net to hold the substrat. so much easier to clean. i use 2 filters in case 1 breaks down while working. plus it gives me twice the media. hope this helps.

jim

DJW
07-09-2016, 07:11 PM
For easy setup and maintenance, the HOB is the best type IMO. I like the Aquaclear 110 for that size tank. Having two filters is good in case one quits. If you have one filter plus an airstone, the airstone will be a backup for circulation. The only negative thing is a slight trickling sound which some don't like.

Canisters work well but compared to open filters they are a little stingy with oxygen, and being out of sight out of mind you can get lazy about cleaning them.

Sumps are great, but if you don't find filtration a particularly fascinating subject then you might be just fine with one of the other types.

DISCUS STU
07-10-2016, 06:47 AM
Having 2 Eheim 2217 isn't too much water flow for them?? also, since I'm starting new, would it be better to buy a more powerful Eheim say the Ehiem pro 4 + 600 than to have two canisters?? Do the Eheim canisters have trays for the different media? I never owned a Eheim, I had a filstar and it had trays for the different media. Thank you

You use the spray bars to provide air/oxygen back to the tank or rig up some type of diverter because the current will be a little strong coming out. I also use an Aquaclear 110 on the other side of my 90 and this is full of sponge material which is easy to clean. I do 50% water changes every 2-3 days. These older Eheims have no trays.