PDA

View Full Version : Meds to have on hand

guggas
07-10-2016, 04:29 PM
So, what if any meds would it be a good idea to have on hand before I get my first shipment of discus? If its highly likely I'm going to wind up using a particular treatment at some point, I'd rather just have it on hand so I can treat them timely rather than waiting for something to ship. What is the favorite discus treatment for ich?

walt
07-10-2016, 07:49 PM
If you use one of the sponsors on the forum your discus should arrive healthy I've got all my stock from discus hans and never had to medicate Fish upon arrival.

Clawhammer
07-13-2016, 03:46 PM
Everyone will have different opinions on what to use or stock. I keep these on hand:

Potassium Permanganate - External parasites, bacteria, fungal infections (also useful for general disinfection of equipment)
Metronidazole - Internal parasite (flagellates)
Kanamycin - Internal bacterial infections
Levamisole - Dewormer
Praziquantel - Internal and external parasites

John_Nicholson
07-13-2016, 04:32 PM
In the nut shell .....clean water.

More discus are killed but people throwing the wrong meds in their tanks than by disease. You should not treat your fish unless you get a real diagnosis from a fish pathologist.

The misuse of antibiotics is one of the biggest problems that we face.

-john

Willie
07-19-2016, 06:39 PM
Following up on John's comment, my standard treatment for sick discus is as follows:

1. move immediately to a quarantine tank
2. add 1 tbsp of salt/gallon - a lot of salt
3. heat to 100F - you'll need a good or two average heaters
4. cull the fish if it doesn't respond within a week

Having kept these fish for 15+ years, if this doesn't cure them then just cut your losses. Spend your money on a quarantine tank. If you're fixed on the idea of medication, enroll in vet school. :p

Willie

Filip
07-20-2016, 07:27 AM
Following up on John's comment, my standard treatment for sick discus is as follows:

1. move immediately to a quarantine tank
2. add 1 tbsp of salt/gallon - a lot of salt
3. heat to 100F - you'll need a good or two average heaters
4. cull the fish if it doesn't respond within a week

Having kept these fish for 15+ years, if this doesn't cure them then just cut your losses. Spend your money on a quarantine tank. If you're fixed on the idea of medication, enroll in vet school. :p

Willie

Wow Willie . You should name your method "Kill or cure" or better "cure or die" method :-) .
I'm curious about your experience and results with it.

What kind of problems have you successfully treated with this method , and what's the surviving or better said dying rate of discus during the process?
TFS.

tonytheboss1
07-20-2016, 08:59 PM
In the nut shell .....clean water.

More discus are killed but people throwing the wrong meds in their tanks than by disease. You should not treat your fish unless you get a real diagnosis from a fish pathologist.

The misuse of antibiotics is one of the biggest problems that we face.

-john

:computer: AGREED!! Hey, I'm no expert but quite a while back I got some advice from one. He said 'isolation in a sick tank, raise the temp. to 88/90 & clean water change after clean water change after clean water change'! "T"

LizStreithorst
07-20-2016, 09:03 PM
I like to have PP and metro on hand but I've been out of both for months on end now. Just ordered some PP. I need to order some stuff from Jehmco so I guess I'll grab some Metro and stick in in the freezer.

bluelagoon
07-20-2016, 10:36 PM
Metronidazole and Furan 2 are good to have on hand.Just in case.Some bacterial diseases can kill fish while you 're waiting for meds to arrive from a shipper.You might bring in something from another species and have to treat it in the QT.Best to have something on hand even if it's just Malachite green & formalin mix.

DISCUS STU
07-25-2016, 03:43 PM
Metro and Kanamycin Sulfate for both internal parasites (protozoans) and internal infections (Kanamycin Sulfate).