Discuschill
07-13-2016, 06:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeW-CztfC_U&feature=youtu.be

Akili
07-13-2016, 06:20 PM
Looking good and all the best !!

rickztahone
07-13-2016, 07:04 PM
Good luck with the breeding program Kathy. How are your Penangs doing?

Kal-El
07-13-2016, 07:04 PM
Very nice. like the setup.

Discuschill
07-14-2016, 08:05 AM
Good luck with the breeding program Kathy. How are your Penangs doing?

The Penangs laid eggs as soon as we moved them into the 20! I shall keep you posted!

Second Hand Pat
07-14-2016, 08:18 AM
Very cool operation Kathy. Best of luck on the breeding end. :)
Pat

John_Nicholson
07-14-2016, 08:26 AM
Nice. Sometimes they spawn in a hurry. I ended up with the winner of the bred by exhibitor class from Rick. I took him home and threw him in with a female and they have been watching eggs for 2 days. They are in tap water so I doubt any of the eggs hatch but at least I know they like each other...LOL. And yes I do understand the need for quarantine but it is a little different for me. If my fish starts to show any signs of an issue I will simply bleach them and start over.......

-john

Kal-El
07-14-2016, 08:57 AM
Nice. Sometimes they spawn in a hurry. I ended up with the winner of the bred by exhibitor class from Rick. I took him home and threw him in with a female and they have been watching eggs for 2 days. They are in tap water so I doubt any of the eggs hatch but at least I know they like each other...LOL. And yes I do understand the need for quarantine but it is a little different for me. If my fish starts to show any signs of an issue I will simply bleach them and start over.......

-john

Show us pictures John. Was yours a female or male? I have Ricks other one that I believe is a male.

Kal-El
07-14-2016, 08:59 AM

-john

Show us pictures John. Was yours a female or male? I have Ricks other one that I believe is a male.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/imageher/Discus/E32379F5-64B2-4D7E-BF6F-7B0A5BDF5702_zpsycvjpsus.jpg

Kal-El
07-14-2016, 09:00 AM
The Penangs laid eggs as soon as we moved them into the 20! I shall keep you posted!

Good luck... Looking forward to some good news.

John_Nicholson
07-14-2016, 09:01 AM
The one I got from him was a male. I don't have any pictures of him with me but basically a cobalt looking fish. I was trying to get the auction going and Rick came up and said he do you want a fish? I was like what fish? We went over to look at it and I ended up with it. On the way home it dawned on me that it meant I have the winner of the bred by exhibitor fish from both 2014 and 2016. Hopefully I will have the one from 2018 also...LOL.

-john

Fishquake
07-14-2016, 11:03 AM
Hi John, nice meeting you at NADA, (Kathy's Husband) have you had any issues mixing Stendkers with Asian?

Kal-El
07-14-2016, 11:38 AM
The one I got from him was a male. I don't have any pictures of him with me but basically a cobalt looking fish. I was trying to get the auction going and Rick came up and said he do you want a fish? I was like what fish? We went over to look at it and I ended up with it. On the way home it dawned on me that it meant I have the winner of the bred by exhibitor fish from both 2014 and 2016. Hopefully I will have the one from 2018 also...LOL.

-john

Very nice. Maybe the 2018 bred by exhibitor fish will be one I bring to the show... lol... I'm raising some home breed fish that may have potential to make it to the 2018 show, as long as they don't hit a hurdle.

John_Nicholson
07-14-2016, 01:21 PM
Fishquake it was great meeting you too. Hopefully I will have more time at the next NADA show to visit...LOL. I have never had any issues when mixing them but I am pretty particular where I get fish from.

Kal-El I hope you bring your fish. I would love to see more hobbyist like us enter their home bred fish in the show.

-john

Altum Nut
07-14-2016, 03:57 PM
Very nice set-up Kathy...and was nice meeting you at Nada but never got a change to say to your husband Bill? videographer covering the Nada showroom.

...Ralph

Disgirl
07-14-2016, 05:41 PM
I am honored Kathy, good luck with those cones!
Barb

rickztahone
07-15-2016, 08:19 PM
Thanks so much, Ralph! Was a great pleasure meeting you at NADA. My husband was buried in his camera, so not too available! Maybe you can meet him at 2017 NADA. Best Wishes.

Kathy

2018 ;)

Discuschill
07-15-2016, 08:21 PM
Very cool operation Kathy. Best of luck on the breeding end. :)
Pat

Many thanks, Pat. All luck appreciated!!! Will keep you posted!

Discuschill
07-15-2016, 08:22 PM
I am honored Kathy, good luck with those cones!
Barb

Barb, I couldn't wait to put them in the tanks! They look so beautiful, I know they will encourage the breeders to spawn! I hope so anyway.

Thanks for the cones, and it was nice to meet you, as well.

William1
07-15-2016, 10:47 PM
They look like modern day milk cows in tiny little pens, not able to move hardly, but to serve one purpose, mankind's obsession to rule nature for his/her own needs. The animal is secondary. I wouldn't want to be a discus in those tanks. I'm sure it is standard operating procedure, but to what end? Ahh yes, $$$.

Second Hand Pat
07-16-2016, 08:32 AM
They look like modern day milk cows in tiny little pens, not able to move hardly, but to serve one purpose, mankind's obsession to rule nature for his/her own needs. The animal is secondary. I wouldn't want to be a discus in those tanks. I'm sure it is standard operating procedure, but to what end? Ahh yes, $$$.

William, in breeding tanks it is customary to place the short end of the tank towards the front and have the long end on the sides. This give the breeding pair a sense of security. Breeding tanks are generally 20 to 29 gallons so the fish have plenty of room to move about.
Pat

John_Nicholson
07-16-2016, 08:46 AM

It is quite clear that you do not have a clue what you are talking about. There is absolutely nothing wrong with those tanks. The fact that you do not have the experience to realize that is the only problem here.

-john

pastry
07-17-2016, 06:53 PM
Kathy, my vote for most adrenaline pumping discus video. The lighting, the editing, the fish and especially the music made me want to get the saw-saw out and start making a fish room. Great stuff! You in the states?

Don't mind will1, ..."There's always one..." I love your milk cows and willing to bet they have great water quality... Plus they basically live in a love motel... What the hells wrong with that? :p

Discuschill
07-18-2016, 11:39 AM
Looking good and all the best !!

Thanks, Akill!!

Discuschill
07-18-2016, 11:54 AM
Kathy, my vote for most adrenaline pumping discus video. The lighting, the editing, the fish and especially the music made me want to get the saw-saw out and start making a fish room. Great stuff! You in the states?

Don't mind will1, ..."There's always one..." I love your milk cows and willing to bet they have great water quality... Plus they basically live in a love motel... What the hells wrong with that? :p

:bounce:Thanks pastry! I'm glad you liked the video. My husband loves producing discus videos. They do live in a love motel! Pretty much we take care of their every need. Their pH, TDS, and temperature are all managed to provide them with what we think is a great environment to breed. They're very happy with their 97% lean beef mix, as well. They eat better than we do! Plus, we filter the heck out of the water--we flow through 15 gallons per hour so our top tier turns over in excess of three times a day.

Thanks again for the positive feedback! More videos to come!!!

Discuschill
07-18-2016, 11:56 AM
2018 ;)

Haha! Maybe I just wanted to have a conference next year!!!

Looking forward to 2018. And thanks for all your Chicago photos. They were great! :)

Phillydubs
07-18-2016, 03:03 PM
William - moving forward, run a quick search or ask a question rather than make a bold statement that could not be farther from the truth...

Some may say that you, taking wild discus from their natural habitat and plunking them in a glass box is cruel and farm like... Chew on that for a second...

This practice has been done for decades and it is the root of this great hobby, without these set-ups and breeding we would all be without these amazing fish to buy and the hobby we love!

Filip
07-18-2016, 07:07 PM
:bounce:Thanks pastry! I'm glad you liked the video. My husband loves producing discus videos. They do live in a love motel! Pretty much we take care of their every need. Their pH, TDS, and temperature are all managed to provide them with what we think is a great environment to breed. They're very happy with their 97% lean beef mix, as well. They eat better than we do! Plus, we filter the heck out of the water--we flow through 15 gallons per hour so our top tier turns over in excess of three times a day.

Thanks again for the positive feedback! More videos to come!!!

I like your HD quallity- high resolution discus videos Discuschill.
I also like the adrenaline pumping Goa trance music background :-) it seems that all your videos has it .

I didnt quite understand the last part with the filtration explanation . You pump new fresh water with a rate of 15 gph on a 20-30 gallon tank ? Or the total amount of WC per day equals 3 -100% WC ?
Do you run any supportive filtration or is it just WCs ?

Poppa Ryno
07-18-2016, 08:44 PM
Looking fantastic. Thank you for sharing.

Discuschill
07-19-2016, 10:44 AM
I like your HD quallity- high resolution discus videos Discuschill.
I also like the adrenaline pumping Goa trance music background :-) it seems that all your videos has it .

I didnt quite understand the last part with the filtration explanation . You pump new fresh water with a rate of 15 gph on a 20-30 gallon tank ? Or the total amount of WC per day equals 3 -100% WC ?
Do you run any supportive filtration or is it just WCs ?

Thanks Filip! These videos are really our passion, and we love doing them.

Just a bit more info. on our system:

We run the tiers of 5, 20 gallon tanks in a single system filtered by 2 Ocean Clear Canister filters containing a combination of both Matala and Poret filter media. They provide an excellent support for the colonization of nitrifying bacteria.

We flow RO water that is pH controlled into the 5 tanks using float valves to prevent overflows. The tiers themselves feature pH controllers as redundancy. The dosing water is treated with the just the right amount of baking soda to maintain the pH and keep the TDS in the 50 range. We export the water via the backwash ports on the canisters that are controlled with a variety of pressure compensating drip emitters. With a turn of a few valves you can control the exit water from 5 to 10 to 15 gallons an hour. This system we reproduced for all four of our racks encompassing 8 tiers.

Of course the tanks are wiped down daily and vacuumed. When the water is vacuumed out they automatically refill to the desired level.

Hope that helps!!

-Kathy

Filip
07-20-2016, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the informative response on filtration Kathy.
Keep making your discus videos. Im subscribed to your YouTube channel and I enjoy watching them .The last one with the needle feeding was a bit scarry though :-) .

Discuschill
07-22-2016, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the informative response on filtration Kathy.
Keep making your discus videos. Im subscribed to your YouTube channel and I enjoy watching them .The last one with the needle feeding was a bit scarry though :-) .

Ha!! It was quite scary for us too, but unfortunately had to be done!! :)

He's doing well, so far.

We're posting another video today. Hope you like it!

Filip
07-22-2016, 05:41 PM
I hope for a full recovery with that one , eventhough he is not the prettiest discus you have :-) .
I was amazed by the courage of the care giver as well as by the amount of the medicine cocktail applied .
It was surely educational and informative video anyway. TFS.