PDA

View Full Version : Help in defining strain Lineage

jjduen
07-15-2016, 07:57 AM
I have a pair that has been breeding, picture attached with most recent brood. The male is either a yellow pigeon or a yellow dragon and the female is a Red Scarlet.

How does one know whether they are a pigeon blood base line or not.

Please help as I am trying to figure out what appearance to expect from my fry, they are 17 days old as of 7/15/16, as I can still change off and breed him with another female.

Also, what base is an Albino Millennium Gold?

Ryan925
07-15-2016, 11:56 AM
I too have been curious if there is a "flow chart" of what strain comes from where.

rickztahone
07-15-2016, 08:01 PM
I don't think anyone will be able to answer this for you. Typically, you want to ask your breeder these questions so that when you have a breeding program going, you don't get any unwanted surprises by having asked in the first place.

Quintin
07-16-2016, 07:25 AM
Yellow could be pigeon or mabey gold based.does fish pepper at all?

jjduen
07-17-2016, 01:13 PM
Neither have any peppering. He does have a slight gold tint to him.

Quintin
07-19-2016, 10:14 AM
Probably gold based then

Rod
07-19-2016, 03:01 PM
The yellow one is a pigeon, the red one is golden based. Pigeon is dominant, so we have 2 possibilities for the fry. That is pigeon and non pigeon, and it will depend on how the pigeon gene is being carried in the DNA of the parent. It could be the fry are all pigeons (homozygous) or only a percentage are pigeons (heterozygous) If they are het's, then the results could be either brown based and/or golden based fry along with the pigeons, again this is depending on the DNA of the father, and what hidden genes he may be carrying. If you post a really good pic of the fry, I can most likely tell just by looking at them for you.
Albino millennium gold is a name, not a description of the genes it carries( but this is not the time for critique of the naming game). My experience with AMG is they are mostly pigeon based but until you breed them it is impossible to be certain as the albino phenotype masks the pigeon phenotype (and the golden one too).