PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled over Heckel darkening

wannafish
07-15-2016, 07:11 PM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
Hello,
I recently bought 3 Rio Negro Heckles from John Snookin, ( Great that he has Heckles ). I put them in quarantine in my 25 gallon and
introduced them in my 60 gallon tank along with three other existing Heckles.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

A couple weeks passed and one new Heckle started turning dark. And not eating. No clamped gills, no clamped fins, fins are swimming, and tilting down a little. Not head standing,
just a tilt. A couple days ago I was looking inside the mouth and noticed some white substance, but yesterday I noticed it was clear.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

No medications yet. After reading here on Simply, unless there is a noticeable more obvious symptom, I thought I would
just up the water changes, and go with the holistic approach.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

60 gallon, 3 fish I have had for over a year, and new ones about three months

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

I change water 50% every week. 75% RO and 25% aged tap

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Tank has been running about 8 years

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

Yes I age my water and heat it. I age it for a week. The ph is 7.6 in tap ph is 6.0 in aged RO barrel

8. Parameters and water source;

Aged tap water ph 7.6 Aged RO ph 6.0

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____89 to 92

- ph _____ 7.6 ph on the high range is 7.4

- ammonia reading ____ 0

- nitrite reading ____ 0

- nitrate reading ____ 20

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____ yes

- RO water ____ yes TDS is 100

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

I added a couple of bowls of Carib Sea Instant Ocean fine substrate to the tank and water column. I comes with chloramine and chlorine additives,
and I added some of the solution from the envelope it comes with

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

two pics

I have a smaller discus from the existing batch that is darkened as well. It's been like that for a long time. Fish is healthy, eats well, somewhat aggressive,
and has it's own territory. I am thinking it is female. I just accept the darkness.

One thing I am puzzled about. I have tried to get the ph lower with the addition of RO water. But my readings read ph 7.6. Should I add more RO water to
lower the ph thereby adjusting the RO and tap water ratio of water changes.

jmf3460
07-15-2016, 09:30 PM
ill be the first to chime in here. you are in the wrong ball game if you want to successfully keep heckels and only change water once a week. heckels are of the most difficult strain to keep. one water change per week is not nearly enough for adult domestics much less heckels in a tank with substrate, rocks and wood. also, there is no need to age water one week. one day is plenty of time. I age my water 8 hours while at work then change my water when I get home. 20ppm nitrates is high and I would be willing to bet they are much higher than this. you need to keep nitrates under 5ppm and closer to zero with heckels.

things are not too far gone, you can still make these heckels beautiful and healthy. I would up your water changes to 75% daily and post back after 3 days.

Phillydubs
07-15-2016, 11:16 PM
What she said...

Spot on right there and you will see a huge change!! Up those changes ASAP !!

Second Hand Pat
07-15-2016, 11:28 PM
With my heckels I find they like super clean water. I generally change 50% every other day. I had one go a bit dark and cleaning the filters lighten him right up.
Pat

wannafish
07-16-2016, 11:01 AM
Thanks Jacklyn

Oh I definitely have to be in the right ball game. Thanks for the info. I can definitely change my regime.
I don't know why the nitrates read high. I vacuum every week and there is hardly enough debris being
vacuumed, and I have a little amount of substrate to sift through.

jmf3460
07-16-2016, 02:37 PM
Thanks Jacklyn

Oh I definitely have to be in the right ball game. Thanks for the info. I can definitely change my regime.
I don't know why the nitrates read high. I vacuum every week and there is hardly enough debris being
vacuumed, and I have a little amount of substrate to sift through.

your nitrates are high as a direct result of your water change regimen.