PDA

View Full Version : What to do with fry after breeding

Molls900
07-16-2016, 11:23 PM
Hello everyone.

Recently getting into discus, I just find them absolutely fascinating. I am currently working on a discus only tank and would eventually like to casually breed the discus I raise simply because the process is beyond intriguing to me and I would love to keep some of the fish that I bred and raised myself. So, I've been doing a lot of research before I decide to actually try to intentionally breed them. And I am curious, what do you do with your fry after you have successfully bred the fish? I understand that some local stores will buy some of them, however there do not seem to be many pet stores in my area beyond petco/petsmart. Craigslist is an option, but I am curious how successful that is for you guys. Then there is always selling online, but that seems impractical due to shipping costs(? do you make the buyer pay shipping? I see a lot of people offering free shipping and I don't understand how they can afford that unless I and thinking about this the wrong way). Anything can help me here, even if it is just a point in the right direction. :)

If some of you could explain your process of selling of your stock that would be awesome.

I am new to breeding fish, but would love to give it a try. I just want to make sure I have a responsible plan for the fry if I am successful with this journey.

Thanks in advance! This forum is hands-down one of the most helpful fish forums on the internet! :)

John_Nicholson
07-17-2016, 10:16 AM
Molly my first suggestion would be to slow down and just enjoy keeping discus for a while. As many people can attest getting them to breed successfully often takes a long time. If you get to that stage I am sure you can find something to do with your fry. Most hobbyist breeders sell their locally but if you start dhipping the buyer pays the shipping fees.

-john

MD.David
07-17-2016, 09:02 PM
There is multiple challenges in breeding discus and selling them in Not one of them.
Once you achieve the successful part of breeding the second is growing out the fry (which is an art form as you will find out), growing out healthy fry is so challenging that most give up. But if your one of the few that can consistently do it, then the selling part will be easy.
As John suggested enjoy and have fun, the selling part is the least of the challenge.

Cheers mate and welcome!
😀