PDA

View Full Version : I need serious help w/ water change costs?!?

Adoinc
07-18-2016, 02:18 AM
So, I am nearly ready to stock my 180 gallon aquarium within a week or two after years of preparation and after finishing my fishless cycle, and now I have ran into another problem. See, the problem is I'm only 15 (turning 16 soon though) and I need help convincing my mom how important water changes are for fish. I want to do a minimum of 50% weekly but I can't seem to convince her that water changes are really important. It was hard enough saving for the tank as is, and if I can't keep my fish in good condition, it discourages me to even keep fish at all. I was going to do a smaller tank but wanted the biggest I could afford and fit into my area comfortably and this was it. I guess I could severly understock my aquarium and do 10-15% weekly like she wants me to do, but that just doesn't seem enjoyable to me with next to no fish in the aquarium. And me knowing that I'm not doing what is optimal for the little creatures under my care makes me sad.
So, are water changes really as expensive as my mom makes them out to seem? She goes on and on about how expensive water bills are but I'm sure the 1400gph rated pump I have running 24/7 for my w/d trickle filter and lights cost more to run that a simple 50% once a week water change.

If you are wondering I live in Colorado just incase you need that for water pricing but from what I've looked up tap water doesn't seem very expensive and it sure as hell doesn't seem as expensive as running a pump, lights, UV sterilizer, etc.
Feedback asap would be appreciated, thanks..

John_Nicholson
07-18-2016, 07:39 AM
My suggestion is you find a way to make some money and offer to pay for the increased usage. I started mowing yards when I was 10. I started breaking horses when I was 13. I started hauling hay when I was 16. The mature thing to do is to pay your own way.

-john

EJ_B
07-18-2016, 09:37 AM
No offense Adoinc, but for 2 years of preparation, it doesn't seem you've done a very good job. I read your previous posts and it seems that you knew going in that you would be limited on the amount of water changes you would be able to do. For anyone who's been on this forum , for even a short time let alone two years, you should know the number one factor to keeping health discus is lots of clean fresh water. 10-15% a week is not going to cut it.

Why get a huge tank that you will only be able to stock to about 1/4 of its capacity? If you are going to have only 6 discus I would have just gotten a 75 gal. and used the extra money to put towards your water changes. Like John said, your best option at this point would be to get a part time job and pay your parent's for the water changes.

MD.David
07-18-2016, 10:29 AM
I guess someone has to be the heavy in this conversation and I might as well, so here we go;
I have yet to meet a kid (12-25) that fully understands the stress and expense of raising a family, the expense your family has to keep a roof over your head and food in the fridge, electricity on and heat running is astronomical.
I hate to say it, but if your family doesn't support your passion for clean water you will have to wait till your on your own and even then you should be saving for your future to one day build a life with a spouse, buy a house, have some what of financial freedom not burdening your family with dream chancing and higher expenses only adding to their financial stress so you can look at a bunch of cool fish.
If your mother has authorized a small amount of weekly water changes then I would suggest getting fish that meets that criteria, and do discus later.
I have personally sold many juvi discus to teens (16-19), where the parents understood the commitment, only to have them give them back to me after a few months and state they simply don't have the time and their son or daughter is out with the BF or GF all the time now.
Discus are for more established adults, not a geeked out idea from a teenager. The discus will like for 14-15 years, require lots of commitment, most of the times young people just don't have the work ethic to stick with it and if they do, their interest change so drastically the fish ends up sick or returned.

I would suggest doing possible African cichlids or cat fish, discus is not for the young adult or busy uncommitted adult.

Best of luck young mate!
:)

So, I am nearly ready to stock my 180 gallon aquarium within a week or two after years of preparation and after finishing my fishless cycle, and now I have ran into another problem. See, the problem is I'm only 15 (turning 16 soon though) and I need help convincing my mom how important water changes are for fish. I want to do a minimum of 50% weekly but I can't seem to convince her that water changes are really important. It was hard enough saving for the tank as is, and if I can't keep my fish in good condition, it discourages me to even keep fish at all. I was going to do a smaller tank but wanted the biggest I could afford and fit into my area comfortably and this was it. I guess I could severly understock my aquarium and do 10-15% weekly like she wants me to do, but that just doesn't seem enjoyable to me with next to no fish in the aquarium. And me knowing that I'm not doing what is optimal for the little creatures under my care makes me sad.
So, are water changes really as expensive as my mom makes them out to seem? She goes on and on about how expensive water bills are but I'm sure the 1400gph rated pump I have running 24/7 for my w/d trickle filter and lights cost more to run that a simple 50% once a week water change.

If you are wondering I live in Colorado just incase you need that for water pricing but from what I've looked up tap water doesn't seem very expensive and it sure as hell doesn't seem as expensive as running a pump, lights, UV sterilizer, etc.

Adoinc
07-18-2016, 10:42 AM
Honestly, I didn't even specify that I wanted to keep discus in that post. People's minds change. My last posts do not necessarily signify what I want now. I haven't been constantly browsing this forum either. The preparations I made were in regards to money as far as saving up for the tank. Think what you will, but I have done my fair share of research. Sure, a smaller tank may have been better in this circumstance, but that's not what I wanted. I was thinking of keeping other types of fish and that's what I'm going to do. I don't even enjoy the thought of keeping discus anymore. I just wanted to know strictly water change costs, and I thought this forum would know best considering the majority of this forum is obsessed with water changes. I guess its safe to assume I had discus in mind considering I posted on this forum but I didn't specify that in my post, I merely posted in the w/c section because this was the only spot strictly regarding that.

Oh, and the areas around anywhere near where I live is 16 as the minimum age requirement, so that's why I haven't gotten a job yet. I could mow lawns I guess but I was thinking of waiting for an actual job. In that case I'll need to go a few months before I can do anything about that.

Clawhammer
07-18-2016, 05:10 PM
You may want to look into the planted tank "Walstad method". Definitely not for discus (water changes are not just an obsession, but a requirement for healthy discus) but great for those on a tight water budget. Water costs will vary by locale, but I think the only meaningful feedback you need on water costs is feedback from your folks. Good luck.

Filip
07-18-2016, 07:47 PM
Just take a waterbill and read it through .
With a little elementary school mathematics you should be able to sum up your monthly water costs which i doubt that can exeede your tank electricity cost .
And dont start discus yet .You got plenty of time for this hobby ahead .

two utes
07-19-2016, 06:20 PM

For what its worth..... I think that at only 15 years old you have done well to get to this point to get into fish keeping. The fact that you have spent some time doing research and purchasing your own equipment shows some level of commitment on your part. I can understand your mother's concerns about the extra household costs, and yes there will be a difference.
Here is an opportunity to become more pro active with daily running of your household. By this l mean look at the big picture, where water is being used....washing of cars, gardening, baths & showers and even washing of dishes. There are always opportunities to save water by reducing time spent under the shower for example, or even from installing some simple water saving devices. Maybe even consider catching some water from the roof of your house. Not for water changes as that may present other problems, but to water the garden , wash the car, etc. While you're at it look at reducing the electricity bill as well. Lights left on in unattended rooms or even reducing the wattage of globes.... led lights is the way to go nowadays. Maybe also offer to do more chores around the house to help mum out. I am sure this will all be appreciated by her, and the saving made will allow you to do even more water changes.

:idea2: Even suggest using the old tank water in the garden instead of running it down the drain

Don't be discouraged on keeping discus. All types of fish still need looking after, and it appears that you have the ability to make it work.

Keep us posted on how it all turns out for you. And if you could show us your set up at some stage, l'd be interested to see where you're at.

Good luck :)