PDA

View Full Version : John G. Shedd Aquarium in Chicago

mcrracer
07-18-2016, 08:16 AM
Did any of you guys get to visit The John G. Shedd Aquarium while you were in Chicago? I didn't even think about it until one of the guys mentioned he went by the Field Museum. Awesome place if you like fish and aquatic life. Been there too many times to count over the years and look forward to going back again on my next trip back home to Chicago.

Keith Perkins
07-18-2016, 09:27 AM
I surely didn't, but we did have 2 excellent speakers from there...from what I was told. :(

Allwin
07-18-2016, 09:45 AM
My kids love Shedd Aquarium/Brook field zoo.Went countless times and of course exciting spot for pet lovers. Also after dark, best place to experience the Chicago downtown skyscrapers view(close to Aldrin planetarium).

William1
07-18-2016, 11:01 AM
Adler planetarium it is. Haven't been to Shedd in a long time. I do remember they had discus and cardinal tetras in tanks. Geez, it must be twenty years since I was last there. I'm sure things have changed a lot since. Funny, I overheard someone talking about going there yesterday. I love the museum of science and industry. Field museum is really cool too. It's been a while...

mcrracer
07-18-2016, 04:00 PM
Amen to all of the museums in the Chicago area!!!

William1
07-18-2016, 05:32 PM
I have been wanting to go back to the art museum for forever. Last time was with my three young kids. Has to be over fifteen years ago. The 'kids' aren't so young anymore. Didn't really get to soak it all in shepherding the young ones around. I'm going to do that. Thanks for the reminder. Chicago does have some great museums.

LizStreithorst
07-18-2016, 06:11 PM
I didn't go this time. No driving in Chicago for Dottie and me ever again. It's pure hell for a country bumpkin! I was there once before with a group. It is wonderful! I hope that their Discus looked better in their biotope tank this time than they did last time.

Bill63SG
07-18-2016, 06:36 PM
I didn't go this time. No driving in Chicago for Dottie and me ever again. It's pure hell for a country bumpkin! I was there once before with a group. It is wonderful! I hope that their Discus looked better in their biotope tank this time than they did last time.

They never do.Been going with my son once a year and even tho hes in Texas now we go when he come in for the holidays.

LizStreithorst
07-18-2016, 06:38 PM
They never do.Been going with my son once a year and even tho hes in Texas now we go when he come in for the holidays.

I expected as much.

William1
07-18-2016, 06:47 PM
I do remember the discus were very dark and not so appealing. But, that was a long time ago. I even remember which alcove they were in. On the left.

Bill63SG
07-19-2016, 05:30 PM
I do remember the discus were very dark and not so appealing. But, that was a long time ago. I even remember which alcove they were in. On the left.

If your talking about when you first walk in and its on the left,thats long gone and is now a gift shop.Discus are in the amazon experience with the anaconda,lol.

LizStreithorst
07-19-2016, 06:32 PM
When I was there they were where you first walked in, to the left.

Bill63SG
07-19-2016, 07:16 PM
When I was there they were where you first walked in, to the left.

Yep,I belive it was call "Tributries" then.I grew up in Chicago and my dad was pretty good about going to zoos/museums/aquarium,so been going there pretty much all my life.

William1
07-19-2016, 07:28 PM
It's been a while. I think a visit is in order. You know, I want to make sure they have things figured out by now at that Shedd aquarium joint...
Great museums in Chicago. Take the train in. Good stuff. Thanks for the reminder. I'll search for the Amazon section! Cool.