PDA

View Full Version : Stable PH question

Davidzil
07-21-2016, 11:40 AM
I am helping a friend set up a new tank and had a question regarding keeping a stable PH.
Using NYC tap water the PH after 24 hrs was at 6.5(and that would be ok)
Tank test after 24hrs drops it to like 6
KH is between 2-3
He has driftwood in the tank
I had him put some crushed coral in a hob last night.
Don't want to get to the point where he has to worry about his very low PH and start adding baking soda...

Suggestions please

Phillydubs
07-21-2016, 12:06 PM
I kept discus and fish in NYC tap for years without an issue or adding anything... Consistency is the main key here... the crushed coral should help a bit, but I wouldn't do too much more...

Will he be aging the water?

Davidzil
07-21-2016, 01:22 PM
He will not be aging the water, given the space restrictions.
Just going with Prime.

MD.David
07-21-2016, 09:04 PM
I hope your measuring your ph with a digital pH pen and not a liquid test kits, the liquid test kits expire and are sometimes not that accurate, especially when you get close to 6.0 because 6.1 looks the same as 4.8 and this wouldn't be good.
If your trying to get stable pH at 6.5 and it comes out of the tap around there and only drifts a bit , then proper pH from API might be a solution, just use enough to add stability.

I am helping a friend set up a new tank and had a question regarding keeping a stable PH.
Using NYC tap water the PH after 24 hrs was at 6.5(and that would be ok)
Tank test after 24hrs drops it to like 6
KH is between 2-3
He has driftwood in the tank
I had him put some crushed coral in a hob last night.
Don't want to get to the point where he has to worry about his very low PH and start adding baking soda...

Suggestions please

Willie
07-21-2016, 10:55 PM
If he's making regular water changes, then there's absolutely no need for crushed coral or anything. Just go with tap water adjusted for temperature and add a dechloraminator. With discus, less is always more.

Willie

Phillydubs
07-21-2016, 11:44 PM
As I stated to begin with and I agree with Willie.

Once you start messing with solutions your askig for problems.

Davidzil
07-22-2016, 08:36 AM
Agree, didn't want to go with he chemical route.
These readings are with a new API master kit.
Never seen a a digital pH pen, but just for my knowledge will look into it.

is thsi what we are talking about https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AS2C2GE?psc=1

sanjay21
07-22-2016, 12:02 PM
Hi Guys,
This is my first post here so please be easy on me :) I have ordered about 13 fishes online which will arrive next Tuesday. The person I purchased fishes from maintains stable ph of 7.0 (Note: He received the fish Order from Malaysia a week ago) but they are doing good he sent me videos and pictures as well.
So my question is I have my tap water with ph 8.2 and I have about 15 discus babies currently between 2" - 2.5" really healthy and eating well. But the person I bought them from maintained ph of 7.6. So for the new fish that I will be receiving next week do I need to lower my ph using chemicals or get a RO unit or not play with the water and acclimate the fish with my tap water ?
Please help me out here .. I'm from Utah btw and have two empty tanks ready and cycled (55 gallons each).
Thank you,
Sanjay

Akili
07-22-2016, 12:26 PM
Hi Guys,
This is my first post here so please be easy on me :) I have ordered about 13 fishes online which will arrive next Tuesday. The person I purchased fishes from maintains stable ph of 7.0 (Note: He received the fish Order from Malaysia a week ago) but they are doing good he sent me videos and pictures as well.
So my question is I have my tap water with ph 8.2 and I have about 15 discus babies currently between 2" - 2.5" really healthy and eating well. But the person I bought them from maintained ph of 7.6. So for the new fish that I will be receiving next week do I need to lower my ph using chemicals or get a RO unit or not play with the water and acclimate the fish with my tap water ?
Please help me out here .. I'm from Utah btw and have two empty tanks ready and cycled (55 gallons each).
Thank you,
SanjayNo you do need to lower your pH, going from lower pH to a tank with higher pH has no harming effect on the fish. Also no RO water need unless they were wilds or breeding pairs

sanjay21
07-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Thanks Akili, so should I lower my ph using chemicals ? and should I be continuing this long term ?

Davidzil
07-22-2016, 12:39 PM
The answer would be a No on using chemicals, let it run as is.

sanjay21
07-22-2016, 12:48 PM
Thank you Davidzil! In case my fish turns dark or show any signs of stress due to increase in ph. Is there any measure I should be taking ?

Akili
07-22-2016, 12:58 PM
Thank you Davidzil! In case my fish turns dark or show any signs of stress due to increase in ph. Is there any measure I should be taking ?Fish will not dark if you do daily water changes.Most of the time when Discus turn dark it is sign of bad water quality or sickness.All my Discus are in water that is of 7.9 pH value.

sanjay21
07-22-2016, 01:08 PM
Fish will not dark if you do daily water changes.Most of the time when Discus turn dark it is sign of bad water quality or sickness.All my Discus are in water that is of 7.9 pH value.
You previously stated I should lower my ph so got worried. Okay so I will not use any chemicals just tap water + prime. Hope they do okay, from the big ph jump.

Akili
07-22-2016, 01:23 PM
Sanjay, read this thread it help you in regards to all your pH questions. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?25716-YOU-DON-T-NEED-TO-CHANGE-YOUR-pH!

sanjay21
07-22-2016, 01:32 PM
Sanjay, read this thread it help you in regards to all your pH questions. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?25716-YOU-DON-T-NEED-TO-CHANGE-YOUR-pH!

Thanks again Akili, that helps !!

MD.David
07-23-2016, 10:39 PM
Get one of those pH pens, it will make your life much easier.

Agree, didn't want to go with he chemical route.
These readings are with a new API master kit.
Never seen a a digital pH pen, but just for my knowledge will look into it.

is thsi what we are talking about https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AS2C2GE?psc=1

Akili
07-23-2016, 10:54 PM
No you do need to lower your pH, going from lower pH to a tank with higher pH has no harming effect on the fish. Also no RO water need unless they were wilds or breeding pairs Error on my part I miss to type in "not" the line should have been
No you do not need to lower your pH, going from lower pH to a tank with higher pH has no harming effect on the fish. Also no RO water need unless they were wilds or breeding pairs