PDA

View Full Version : snow white X turquoise

gouramigal
07-23-2016, 01:34 AM
Im new to breeding- Im looking to purchase this proven pair. trying to research what i'll end up with. im just trying to avoid any kind of peppering- can anyone give me an idea what I'll end up with?

Ryan
07-23-2016, 03:33 AM
I don't know that pepper is a huge concern. Snow White discus were originally derived from non-pigeon fish so in theory you should be able to cross them without issue.

Having said that, I'm guessing the fry will be all over the place in terms of their final look. Rick may be along soon to offer some thoughts. I think he's worked with Snow White crosses.

nc0gnet0
07-23-2016, 02:13 PM
I don't know that pepper is a huge concern. Snow White discus were originally derived from non-pigeon fish so in theory you should be able to cross them without issue.

Having said that, I'm guessing the fry will be all over the place in terms of their final look. Rick may be along soon to offer some thoughts. I think he's worked with Snow White crosses.

This is true, however many, if not most of the snow white's on the market today do have pigeon blood in them. I have heard (although I don't know it for a fact) that typically the Snow Whites with a touch of blue coloration/halo is a indicator it possesses PB genetics. The reason for this (again speculation on my part) is due to the fact most of the snow whites we see are left overs from red/white and yellow/white variants.

So, without looking at the F! fry, its hard to tell what hidden genetics your snow white might have. YOu might get offspring that look similar to this:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?91385-What-strain-is-this&highlight=discus

MD.David
07-23-2016, 03:09 PM
Those discus look like pure whites that had a blue pen explode on them, interesting.

This is true, however many, if not most of the snow white's on the market today do have pigeon blood in them. I have heard (although I don't know it for a fact) that typically the Snow Whites with a touch of blue coloration/halo is a indicator it possesses PB genetics. The reason for this (again speculation on my part) is due to the fact most of the snow whites we see are left overs from red/white and yellow/white variants.

So, without looking at the F! fry, its hard to tell what hidden genetics your snow white might have. YOu might get offspring that look similar to this:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?91385-What-strain-is-this&highlight=discus

gouramigal
07-25-2016, 10:45 PM
thanks for the replies- im definetly new to breeding. TBH im not a fan of the white with blue speckling. I do have access to a blue snakeskin I can pair with the turquoise- would this be a better combination?

gouramigal
07-25-2016, 10:54 PM

CliffsDiscus
07-26-2016, 02:17 PM
I did cross a SnowWhite with a Blue Turquoise around 6 or 7 years ago, still have one remaining the color was buff color body with blue dorsal and anal fins
no peppering.

Cliff