PDA

View Full Version : 240g Planted discus tank.

TroyL
07-25-2016, 03:23 PM
I currently have a 240 gallon planted discus tank. I have 6 discus in the tank currently Ranging from adult to smaller babies maybe about 1.25". I also have 3 serape tetra, 6 emerald green cory and 2 albino BN pleco's in the tank
My question is how big of water changes do you guys do on your planted tanks? How often are you doing them? I currently do about 60% about once a month.. and maybe 20 gallon weekly. I hate doing water changes because it takes so long to do. A 60% usually takes about 2 hours to do. I have to run the temp out of the tap. All level are good and my discus handle the tap water well when treated with Sea Chems Prime.
Any info or suggestions would be great.

Troy

07-26-2016, 08:01 AM
For removing water from my tank's I use a pump with hose and then maybe use handheld syphon for vaccuming up waste .
Larger the pump,the faster it removes water.
For refilling the tank, I use Aqueon or Python water changing hose with faucet adapter attached to kitchen faucet (might need adapter for faucet).

TroyL
07-26-2016, 05:27 PM
What percent of the water do you change out and how often?

axl10
07-27-2016, 04:40 AM
with discus mate and that size aqaurium you need to do 50% twice a week as a minimum. So they reach there full potential and grow fat as well as been healthy. You have opened up a big discussion on here saying you only change 60% once a month. If you don't like water changers discus might be the wrong choice of fish.

Ryan925
07-29-2016, 12:17 AM
Pix?

I was doing weekly with my planted. I thought everything was fine since my parameters were always ok. Since removing a large number of plants and doing some serious cleaning and rescaping I see a big difference in behavior. I now do 50% every other day.