PDA

View Full Version : What are the views !!!

donnacona
07-26-2016, 02:21 PM
Pro's and con's between ( DECAPSULATED BRINE SHRIMP EGGS ) normal artemia cysts that hatch and artemia cysts that do not hatch and which do you prefer to use and why.
Stu

CliffsDiscus
07-26-2016, 02:35 PM
The fish like live BBS more then the non-hatching brine shrimp eggs. I use the non-hatching as a good back-up they are also much cheaper and less labor.

Cliff

bluelagoon
07-26-2016, 02:59 PM
The outer shells are not digestible for the ones that do not hatch and could cause a blockage in the gut.

warblad79
07-27-2016, 12:36 PM
The fish like live BBS more then the non-hatching brine shrimp eggs. I use the non-hatching as a good back-up they are also much cheaper and less labor.

Cliff

Same here, my fry go nuts with fresh live BBS

donnacona
07-28-2016, 06:25 PM
Thanks it's what I wanted
Stu

brewmaster15
07-29-2016, 08:04 AM
The outer shells are not digestible for the ones that do not hatch and could cause a blockage in the gut.

The non-hatching brine shrimp cysts ( called DECAPS) actually do not have shells. They are decapsulated (shell removed) but the process used renders the cyst non-viable.I agree with Cliffs thoughts as well here. They are an excellent nutritional source for fry and cheaper, but unfortunately Discus fry do not like them as much as the hatched BBS. As the fry get older they take to them more easily. I used them extensively with other cichlids like angel fry with no issues.

The down side is the need to be rehydrated before feeding, I soak them about 30 minutes. If you do not rehydrate, you may run into issues.

hth,
al

bluelagoon
07-29-2016, 11:40 AM
Yes,I know they are decaps.Just thought I'd put it out there for the whole eggs that don't hatch.