PDA

View Full Version : Discus Not Eating - Turning Black

killjoy2503
07-26-2016, 03:33 PM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Yesterdayevening I started noticing my female cobalt blue is not eating and swimming with the group anymore. She also is hiding a lot. She laid eggs with her mate 2 days before this.

The other 4 discus fish are perfectly happy and show no signs.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

She is turning dark a little bit, is breathing very slowly, and also has one fin clamped to her side most of the time. Have not yet seen her poop.

http://imgur.com/a/tJUjK
http://imgur.com/a/1zt8g

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Nothing

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

350 liter is running for over 3 months with an e1500 and e900, 5 discus fish which I've bought at LFS on 13 june, 15 other fish some amano shrimp some tetra and corydora

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

Continously with drip system adding 2-3 liters an hour, and bi weekly I change 50%. I did change 50% yesterday when I saw her in trouble.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Well over 3 months, using 1-2mm grain pool filter sand about 1 inch.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

No need to as Dutch municipal water is very good and has no chlorine.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

Here's the water params straight from my municipal.
https://waterbedrijfgroningen.nl/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Nietap-2015.pdf
https://waterbedrijfgroningen.nl/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Onnen-2015.pdf

- temp _____30 celcius

- ph _____ 7.8

- ammonia reading ____ 0

- nitrite reading ____ 0

- nitrate reading ____ not measured

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water 100%

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Altum Nut
07-26-2016, 05:03 PM
There is not much more I can add in saying that temp appears a little high. If you can drop it some in the range of 82F.
I could not make out anything wrong in photo besides her having very vibrant color. The fact she just laid eggs is reason behind her turning dark...creating excess slim for fry to feed off.
It could be possible that she is being bullied by her male mate to tend to eggs.
I would just monitor for now and offer clean water and she may come around.

...Ralph

killjoy2503
07-26-2016, 05:27 PM
There is not much more I can add in saying that temp appears a little high. If you can drop it some in the range of 82F.
I could not make out anything wrong in photo besides her having very vibrant color. The fact she just laid eggs is reason behind her turning dark...creating excess slim for fry to feed off.
It could be possible that she is being bullied by her male mate to tend to eggs.
I would just monitor for now and offer clean water and she may come around.

...Ralph

Thanks for the reply Ralph.

My LFS from which I purchased the fish, said 30 celcius is ideal range. I used to run at 29 celcius.

She has however spawned before and never noticed her becoming dark then. She also is not fighting with the male, however she's getting picked on by the pidgeon blood recently, due to her condition.

The fact she is not eating and is hiding a lot now in combination with one side fin being clamped nearly all the time, just has me worried. I'm afraid to lose her as she's my most precious and beautiful fish and the only one I really gave a name.

I've been reading a lot about discus before even getting these fish, creating optimal circumstance for them to thrive in with the drip system for low maintenance and with dual filter and dual heating in case one fails. So far they've been doing great, the smallest of the pack has grown a lot too and is now not afraid to fight off the bigger discus for food. I see him now regularly fighting back, when in the beginning he used to be a real underdog.. Always away from the pack, trailing them and losing the right to feed.

killjoy2503
07-27-2016, 12:13 PM
Well today I saw her poop. It was white/translucent and stringy.

I have the hospital tank set up, should I seperate her and treat her with something?

I feed my discus frozen food most of the times, I mix up beefheart, brine shrimp, mysis and discus mix with spinache.

edit: I suppose its better to try and let the fish heal on it's own without medication, so for now I've turned up the tank temperature as suggested by other discus keepers.

And I don't really think she needs to be seperated as the other fish remain unaffected, and am hoping she's not a threat to other fish.

Her situation remains unchanged, however she did show some interest in food today, she has yet to take a bite though.

killjoy2503
07-29-2016, 01:32 PM
So my LFS recommended I use Cerpofor Flagellex from Colombo, I seperated her in a 125 liter tank and now most of the time sits motionless in one corner the last day, still not eating.

Her poop is not as translucent and white as it was before when I spotted it, it's kind of brownish transparant and hangs on her anus, as if it has a transparant bag around it.

killjoy2503
08-08-2016, 01:51 PM
Thanks for all the help, the most I felt was moral support due to 175 views on this topic.

Someone report me, so a mod can delete my account pls.

For those interested, she's cured and in the main.

Second Hand Pat
08-08-2016, 03:15 PM
Sorry, I thought Ralph give the best advice last time I read your thread. Really glad she made a good recovery.
Pat