PDA

View Full Version : Pair in a group a bad thing?

Ryan925
07-27-2016, 09:00 PM
I have a group of 7 discus. Last week the rafflesia (largest of the group) laid eggs which were quickly eaten by my turq. Today it appears my bss/blue scorpion is pairing up with my golden check. They are sticking together while the bss is shaking at the golden. The golden is cleaning a piece of manzanita where they are hanging out at. The bss is aggressively protecting this area.

Can this aggressive protection become a problem if these 2 truly become a pair? Obviously they would be undesireable fry if they do spawn but I'm also not set up for it at the moment.

I'd love nothing more than to breed discus one day but I'm not at that point now.

Just want to know if having a pair with a group of others can become a problem, especially to the runts

cedar
07-27-2016, 09:50 PM
my limited experience would ask how big is your tank? I do know they will be aggressive when spawning.

Ryan925
07-27-2016, 09:56 PM
It's 75G

Phillydubs
07-27-2016, 10:19 PM
You can and will see agression... Will it become a problem... That's really a big question that you will need to wait and see. Could go either way and you may just have to monitor things to see how it turns out. You can always put a divider up

Ryan925
07-27-2016, 10:37 PM
You can and will see agression... Will it become a problem... That's really a big question that you will need to wait and see. Could go either way and you may just have to monitor things to see how it turns out. You can always put a divider up

I see aggression but not much more than the normal pecking order type. Only difference is the bss is very territorial of the pains new found home. There is plenty of room for the other fish to be undisturbed and unstressed I believe. If it seems it becomes a problem I may have to take action. Hopefully not.

Must say Kenny was spot on guessing that the rafflesia and golden check were fems going by pattern and color.

Phillydubs
07-27-2016, 10:39 PM
Sounds about right. They are going to defend their turf but should stay close by and not get too over the top. But I've heard cases where a pair take over the tank and the rest of the fish are in a corner. Doesn't sound like that's going on here which is good. It all depends on the pit and thier mood. Bottom line is its nature and you have to let t take sit course and then act accordingly based on your observations.

Ryan925
07-27-2016, 10:42 PM
Sounds about right. They are going to defend their turf but should stay close by and not get too over the top. But I've heard cases where a pair take over the tank and the rest of the fish are in a corner. Doesn't sound like that's going on here which is good. It all depends on the pit and thier mood. Bottom line is its nature and you have to let t take sit course and then act accordingly based on your observations.

Thanks as always Philly.

I think they enjoy the manzanita. After my recent rescape is when this behavior began. May have been just coincidence.

Fortunately they chose sort of a secluded corner under a manzanita branch so they seem to keep to that area at the moment.

Phillydubs
07-27-2016, 10:52 PM
Yea that sounds like a good deal for you wait and see. You don't want to breed anyway so let it go down. You will be able to see typical behavior such as nudging and Quincy basing as opposed to all out fighting and detrimental behavior.

Some people have had to rehome fish due to high agression levels from breeding others are rather calm and keep to their area. Just like some people have had fry life and survive in a community set up and others are eating the eggs as they are being laid. It's all really a big ? And different tank to tank.

Ryan925
07-27-2016, 11:00 PM
Yea that sounds like a good deal for you wait and see. You don't want to breed anyway so let it go down. You will be able to see typical behavior such as nudging and Quincy basing as opposed to all out fighting and detrimental behavior.

Some people have had to rehome fish due to high agression levels from breeding others are rather calm and keep to their area. Just like some people have had fry life and survive in a community set up and others are eating the eggs as they are being laid. It's all really a big ? And different tank to tank.

It's just nice to see. My feeling is that a natural behavior like breeding behavior is a good sign of fish condition. My assumption would be if they were not happy and healthy they would not display such a behavior

It's satisfying this being my first true discus experience after my failed first

Phillydubs
07-27-2016, 11:02 PM
You are correct. As far as I know that def shows good healthy signs.

Keep them with plenty of fresh water and stay on top of it all and your good !!

Post pics when you can!!

Ryan925
07-27-2016, 11:12 PM
It's tough to sneak up on them together in their new love nest. Will prob be easier once they have some eggs there.

Here's what I believe to be the male. He's always been the most aggressive. 99858

Here is the fem I believe