PDA

View Full Version : Is this pairing behavior?

gordo33
07-29-2016, 10:05 PM
https://youtu.be/xkHjK8dBDoI

I recently moved my discus to a new tank and noticed the yellow and red discus fanning the overflow box. The blue discus tends to bully the two discus chasing them from the overflow box. They come back only to be chased away. They also do this on the overflow box on the other side of the tank. Have the yellow and red discus paired? This behavior never occurred in the 4 years they were in the other tank.

Akili
07-29-2016, 10:10 PM
Look like it to me.

gordo33
07-29-2016, 10:16 PM
Is this a sign the water condition is better? They were previously in a 75 gal planted tank with Rena fx3 canister filter water changes 25-30 % twice a week. They now are in a 125 gallon bb with 30 gal sump and water changes 40-50% twice a week.

MD.David
07-30-2016, 11:05 PM
The light colored one is doing dry runs and I think it's a female, the melon could be another female as well, it looked like it was doing one dry run with the light colored pigeon, however IMO if the melon was a male it would chase the blue away to guard it's female.
These are only guesses but I have seen many pairing occur and many female to female pairing occur as well.
I could be wrong but I think they are all three females hanging out and the blue is waiting to have dinner.
Now I could be wrong, the only 100% way is put the light pigeon and melon in a 20g and see what happens.

Best of luck and this is a clear sign they feel good in their new tank set up.

Cheers,

DISCUS STU
08-01-2016, 08:41 AM
Yes and it looks like the Blue Turquoise interloper is trying to eat the eggs. You'll need to remove these two to another tank if you actually want to try to get them to breed.

gordo33
08-01-2016, 09:43 PM
Yes and it looks like the Blue Turquoise interloper is trying to eat the eggs. You'll need to remove these two to another tank if you actually want to try to get them to breed.
Thanks for info. Wish I had the time to see if I can get them to breed. I guess the blue turquoise will get some extra meals

MD.David
08-01-2016, 09:58 PM
Did you actually see any eggs pop out or show up???

gordo33
08-01-2016, 11:08 PM
Did you actually see any eggs pop out or show up???
No I haven't seen any eggs but I'm only home for several hours in the evening to see the tank.

MD.David
08-02-2016, 12:15 PM
So you have never seen eggs at all?.. not even stuck anywhere?
When these fish do the dry run do they ever leave eggs???

No I haven't seen any eggs but I'm only home for several hours in the evening to see the tank.

gordo33
08-03-2016, 09:45 AM
So you have never seen eggs at all?.. not even stuck anywhere?
When these fish do the dry run do they ever leave eggs???

Have not seen any eggs. I have an angel fish tank that had a pair which laid eggs for a while. Assuming the eggs look similar I have not seen any. You seem surprised by this