PDA

View Full Version : Water changer

scrappinjaime
07-30-2016, 03:02 AM
I did a water change on my tank in preparation for adding the Fritz Zyme and fish tomorrow. The water drained very slowly. I'm guessing due to the water pressure. Is there any way to speed this up a bit.? Filling it was fine but it took about 50 minutes to drain 90% of a 75 gallon tank. TIA Jaime

Akili
07-30-2016, 05:33 AM
Need more details on how and what you use for draining.I use a Submersible Pump attached to hose to pump my water out.

Filip
07-30-2016, 09:24 AM
If you perform a gravity driven draining , adding one more python of the same size would cut back draining time in half , 25 min. that would be in your case.

Kyla
07-30-2016, 09:51 AM
using a drain hose with a larger circumference will also decrease drain time, and if u suction the bottom at the same time as u drain it will give u more suction power

Loosir
07-30-2016, 01:53 PM
The speed of the water also depends on height. If you're pulling water from the tank to a sink the height may be close to equal and the water speed is slow. If you drain into a toilet low to the ground the flow will increase. A larger tube really is the best bet.

Bc chick
07-30-2016, 06:52 PM
I did a water change on my tank in preparation for adding the Fritz Zyme and fish tomorrow. The water drained very slowly. I'm guessing due to the water pressure. Is there any way to speed this up a bit.? Filling it was fine but it took about 50 minutes to drain 90% of a 75 gallon tank. TIA Jaime

I literally just went through this and bought a pump finally today. First is was suggested I buy a submersible pump. So I did. Problem with this is it only has a outtake on it so you can't attach your siphoner. I had to buy on today with a out take and intake. So if you need it for this reason make sure you get one with both

MD.David
07-30-2016, 07:02 PM
This is a pump I use, I use it to pump out of my aging barrel to my 120g and 45g
I also leave it running continually to cycle threw my commercial UV filter. The pump has been running for 14 months straight.
For the money you can't beat it.
To drain a tank it would take about 15mins for 50-60gallons I would assume.
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-4-hp-submersible-utility-pump/A-p5770096e

scrappinjaime
07-31-2016, 12:09 AM
MD, can you post a picture of your pump with the siphon connected? I'm very visual.