PDA

View Full Version : Sick discus?

Hbshark
07-30-2016, 12:37 PM
My juvie discus has been dark like close to black the past days and now he stays at the top moving his fins and twitching his head every now and then is there anything I can do to fix this or should I put him down?

Allwin
07-30-2016, 12:55 PM
Sorry to say, highly unlikely this fish can recover. These fishes normally don't pass away quickly so i would cull them humanely to reduce their suffering and also to save our time.

MD.David
07-30-2016, 07:12 PM
Doubt it will even make it another day, the darkening of the fish is a sign of excruciating stress, the twitching your describing is the fish fighting pain and drifting in and out of consciousness.
The fish going to the top is its way of struggling to breath and gasped for oxygen.
Sorry to say it could be many things, but at this point the fish is most likely terminal.
Chances it has had diminished appetite for quite a while but you didn't notice, however this could be from some type of poisoning, did you change anything in the last 48hrs?

Hbshark
07-30-2016, 08:57 PM
I decided to put it down it had no fighting chance it just came as a shocker since all the other fish in the tank where fine and are still fine I noticed it maybe 3 days ago it would sit in the back only to come out and eat but this morning it was horrible I don't know what it could have been the rest are fine swimming and eating like normal but thanks anyways he is in a better place now

DISCUS STU
08-05-2016, 11:18 AM
Sure after seeing many of these over the years you can tell a fish that's past the point of no return. This happens many times for almost no apparent reason, especially when the rest are doing fine.

It's difficult to euthanize fish but sometimes there's no good alternative.