PDA

View Full Version : Setting up new 9x2.5x2.5 tank what order to setup in

axl10
08-02-2016, 07:02 PM
Hey,
my new 9x2.5x2.5 tank arrives in 3 weeks and are thinking ahead of what steps will I take to get this tank going.

1. Put Sand in as substrate and fill tank.
2. Cycle tank without driftwood in and plants????
3. Once cycled drain tank and add driftwood, plants???

Not sure what is the best way to go about setting it up as I don't think I can cycle the tank with plants and driftwood in there. The plants would be crypts, java ferns, anubius, vals amazon swords etc.

I have got a Eheim 2280 and 2X Eehim 2217 goin on another tank. What's the best way to use these to help get the tank going? Poor water from the old filters into the sump? or use filter wool from filter and put into sump?

What order would you take in setting up this tank?????

An help would be appreciated

Filip
08-02-2016, 08:09 PM
I would set everything up: sand, DW, plants,water ,equipment ,run the sump filter and start the proces.
For seeding and cycling I would ask a sponge or two from the same tank I would purchase the discus from along with some of many quick start bio bacteria products.
After I got my discus I would still change > 60 % water daily out of precaution.

Willie
08-02-2016, 10:29 PM
If you moved the filter material from the old tank to the new tank, then you're good to go. You can start with clean, fresh water. With the original filter material, you're tank is immediately cycled.

Willie

Akili
08-03-2016, 07:02 AM
Hey,
my new 9x2.5x2.5 tank arrives in 3 weeks and are thinking ahead of what steps will I take to get this tank going.

1. Put Sand in as substrate and fill tank.
2. Cycle tank without driftwood in and plants????
3. Once cycled drain tank and add driftwood, plants???

Not sure what is the best way to go about setting it up as I don't think I can cycle the tank with plants and driftwood in there. The plants would be crypts, java ferns, anubius, vals amazon swords etc.

I have got a Eheim 2280 and 2X Eehim 2217 goin on another tank. What's the best way to use these to help get the tank going? Poor water from the old filters into the sump? or use filter wool from filter and put into sump?

What order would you take in setting up this tank?????

An help would be appreciatedPouring water from the old tank is no help as Beneficial bacteria lives on surface area within the tank and filtration system, it does not live in the water column.Driftwood and the filter or the filter media will start the cycle.