PDA

View Full Version : Setting a breed and growing out tanks (Filtration and WC)

efos1994
08-04-2016, 07:44 AM
Hi guy, im curently working on a rack (2 breading tanks, a hospital, 2 growing out 35 galons and one with 80), and i have 2 questions that i cant get a objective answer yet.

In the filtration part, can i get away with just sponge filters in all aquariums?

If yes what type of WC should i do? Can i do a drip system with 50% WC/day for example, or do i have to do a drain out/fill?

I apreciate all help i can get!!!

John_Nicholson
08-04-2016, 07:52 AM
A couple of thing. First sponges are fine. Second with 2 breeding tanks I am assuming you want two breeding pairs. That means you are going to need about 8 75 gallon tanks for grow out if you become any good at breeding discus. Drip systems are highly inefficient with large water changes so always go with siphon, drain, and fill.

-john

efos1994
08-04-2016, 08:08 AM
A couple of thing. First sponges are fine. Second with 2 breeding tanks I am assuming you want two breeding pairs. That means you are going to need about 8 75 gallon tanks for grow out if you become any good at breeding discus. Drip systems are highly inefficient with large water changes so always go with siphon, drain, and fill.

-john

First i ll have just one pair, and see how it goes, i ll probably just mantain a few of the ofspring to make pairs myself. Maybe i ll add 2 more 75/80 gallons.
Ty for the reply, i realy apreciate, just one more question, if i use just sponge filters, how many should i use in each of 3 aquariums, and if i only use them as filtration how many % of water should i change everyday?

John_Nicholson
08-04-2016, 09:27 AM
I would keep one hydro sponge 4 in every breeding tank and two or three in every grow out tank. I change a minimum of 50% daily in all of my tanks. In fry tanks that are crowded I often change between 80% and 95% a day.

-john

efos1994
08-04-2016, 09:59 AM
Ty very much, lets see if i can put up a good start :)

Willie
08-05-2016, 11:34 AM
As long as you're starting, there's really no harm to add more sponge filters. I double stack Hydro V's in all my tanks: 1 X 2 in the 40 gallon breeders, 2 X 2 in the 75 gallon growouts. My 110 gal tank has 2 triple stacked sets of Hydro V's. I find that every sponge filter I add makes the water slightly cleaner, and they're great as backups if you start a new tank.

Congratulations on listing a quarantine tank in your setup. Along with water changes, it's probably the most important factor in successful discus keeping.

Willie